We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone remember the post/review about hiking trails?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone remember the post/review about hiking trails?

In a different forum someone asked about good hiking in DC. I remember in the last year or more someone had posted about that. I had wanted to save the info but never did. It may have been in the reviews about the state parks, I don't remember. I know I mentioned Eagle Trail in my review and that person had several other suggestions. Hatch, do you remember? SailingFan? It would be terrific if we could either make that a sticky or have it listed somewhere.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,738 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone remember the post/review about hiking trails?

This might be it. See reply 9.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1012027-i12677-k4…

Based on this, I hiked Toft Point and Door Bluff Headlands County park on my last visit. Toft Point was about a 2 mile one-way hike. The highlights were the huge original growth white pines on the the right side of the trail before the Toft homestead. Door Bluff Headlands is an unmarked but distinct trail which will take about an hour. The trailhead was across the road from the kiosk in the cul-de-sac. You could scramble to the waters edge. About a third of the way down, I followed a trail to the left. It eventually circled to the south and then turned east in a mowed open area. When it forked awhile later, I followed the orange blazes on trees to a short rustic driveway. This led to the road at the park entrance, and I followed the road to my car. Both trails were well worth the time.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone remember the post/review about hiking trails?

As they said in Cool Hand Luke, "what we have here is a failure to communicate." Thanks Rick, but the link didn't come across correctly so when I copied it into a new tab (it wasn't a hyperlink) I got an interesting forum about Bora Bora!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone remember the post/review about hiking trails?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1012027-i12677-k4…

Let's see if this link works! Rick did post in the forum What are the can't miss spots in Door County, but we're having a hard time getting the link here. I'll copy and paste the text. This was back on June 24, 2011. I was REALLY off on my time-frame, no wonder I couldn't find it in my post listings.

Jun 25, 2011, 9:44 AM

(Posted by SkyWarn--thanks so much)

Okay, I wasn’t going to reply to this thread about two good quality Cities but you mention a favorite word – HIKING. Here is our two cents on it from a HIKING standpoint: we consider Egg Harbor as the far south end of all the hiking action in DC; I recommend Country House Resort in Sister Bay (see my previous report on this resort) which we consider Sister Bay as the center of all the hiking action in DC; My wife and I make HIKING a priority and really like the northern end. We have found the Country House Sister Bay location to be ideally located for access to these 5 HIKING recommendations:

1) Newport State Park. Fee based hiking but worth it. Hwy 42 to NP. It’s on Lake Michigan side so flat hiking for miles and beautiful; Out in the middle of nowhere you’ll see evidence of tent camping. Not for me anymore in my 50’s…. give me the Resort. I admire those tent campers!

2) Mink River. An Estuary. Great for birding also. Spring fed river. We had to step over a spring in one location. Head for Newport in #1 above, but stop short on NP at the 90degree turn. Park there in designated grass area and begin HIKE to the Mink. The main 4ft wide trail is easy and very pleasant, but take a compass on this one if you head to the off-trails as they are not as heavily traveled and fade at times. It’s also on Lake Michigan side so flat hiking.

3) Door Bluff County Park. Via Hwy42 to Cottage / Garret Bay Road area. Our personal favorite, we have this one memorized; Its on the Green Bay side so its bluffs, cliffs, and 60-degree hiking. Very doable hiking but rugged and not for the weak. In the past 5-6yrs now down at the water edge, the hikers have built the little vortex rock formations using the loose rock. Some entertaining manmade artwork there…..

4) Ellison Bluff County Park. Via Hwy42 to Porcupine Road. Again on the Green Bay side so bluffs, cliffs, and 60-degree slopes. Has more paved trails and wood stairs with stunning views.

5) Our personal favorite HIKE is Toft Point. Owned by the University but they open it to public. Drive across DC to Baileys Harbor side. Hwy57 just past Q to Ridges Road about 3-4 miles onward to Toft Point road. It’s a really long HIKE back there, the original Toft family house foundations still there, stunning walk all the way to Moonlight Bay where there are bald eagles and black swans. Please, if you go, take only pictures, leave only footprints.

We take provisions and hike #2, #3, and #5 in 7-8 hours including driving time..... from Sister Bay as our base. Carry band-aids.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone remember the post/review about hiking trails?

glad you found it, I knew it was at least month plus ago and I remember the thread just couldn't remember the name..

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone remember the post/review about hiking trails?

I'd love to know more about the Toft Point area. If they're used to hiking that much, how long is "a long hike"? I'll have to try and find that on a map. I forgot about the Ridges, we walked in there last year, it's very interesting geology.

Hey Hatch, here's another thanks, with this reply to you I'll hit 1,000 posts. I was wondering if it would be a little special, and I'm glad it's in response to you and about something I think may help other visitors.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,738 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone remember the post/review about hiking trails?

About 1 1/2 miles one way, from the gate to the end of the trail. The trail ends a little past the homestead. Link to map:

…state.wi.us/org/…map57.pdf

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone remember the post/review about hiking trails?

This would probably be a bigger time commitment than we usually have on our short trips and longer we normally do. Though we have done it by accident--I'm not always the best at reading those maps and forget round trip vs one way. Hey, these things happen and make for interesting memories!

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,738 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone remember the post/review about hiking trails?

The trail goes further than the map indicates. The Toft homestead, which is where the trail on the map ends, is probably a little less than a mile from the gate. The trail is very wide, flat, and easy to follow. It's a worthwhile stop if you're in the Bailey's Harbor area.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,738 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone remember the post/review about hiking trails?

Here are some other shorter hikes:

www.doorcountylandtrust.org/trail_maps.htm

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone remember the post/review about hiking trails?

We were in the Ephraim Preserve last year. For years we'd driven past and hadn't stopped, there was some interesting history there too. I feel like the name of this thread should be changed to "Hey, we found the info, check it out"

Seriously, it would be helpful to have this info collected in one spot. I think I'll wait to see if we get any more posts, then I could start a new one and include this link in it. I'm not sure how TA gets info on the main page of the forums for activities to do. I clicked around on the Door County section and found a place where you can write articles. I don't know how widely read those are, it seems more people check out the forums. Under the Things to Do section, it's just reviews. I could consider writing an article, but others here are a LOT more knowledgeable about hiking and trails in DC than I.