We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

State Park Closure

Ludington
Level Contributor
68 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
State Park Closure

Hello, we will be in Door County tomorrow and I saw a notice that the state parks are closed including: Peninsula, Potawatomi, Whitefish Dune, Newport, Rock Island, and Ahnapee. We planned on spending our time visiting the parks and sight seeing so now I ask, what sight seeing will be still be able to do? Is Cave Point and Gills Rock still okay.....any other suggestions.

Thanks a million!

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: State Park Closure

From what I have heard, Door County was pounded by a very strong wind storm toppling trees, knocking out power and even causing damage to some buildings. The parks you mention will be closed all weekend. I would still go but try to contact the place you are staying to get an update on conditions.

Janesville...
Level Contributor
425 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: State Park Closure

Here is an article that is helpful- fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/lakeshore/doo…

Wow we got hit down here but nothing like Door County.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: State Park Closure

I have no information on closures, but I can give you some general information. Cave Point is surrounded by Whitefish Dunes, but it might still be open. Try driving in thru the north, because the roads from the east go thru Whitefish Dunes. Type "hiking or walking suggestions here" in the search box above to get Frozen Tundra's summary of other areas. Up north, try Door Bluff Headlands and Ellison Bluff county parks, and the Mink River trail. Further south, try Ridges Sanctuary, Cana Island and Toft Point in Bailey's Harbor. You can also try Crossroads at Big Creek just north of Sturgeon Bay.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: State Park Closure

To be a little more specific: If you're looking to hike/walk, try Toft Point, Mink River and Door Bluff Headlands. If you're looking for less hiking/walking and more natural areas to drive to: Ridges is not a strenuous walk. Cana Island is a little bit of a walk, but beautiful views. Ellison Bluff has a hiking trail, but also has a nice overlook close to the parking lot. Hopefully, power will be restored soon. There will be plenty to see and do in the villages of Bailey's Harbor, Fish Creek, Ephraim, Sister Bay and Egg Harbor.

Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: State Park Closure

Link fixed

fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/lakeshore/doo…

more news

fox11online.com/dpp/weather/door-county-hard…

Edited: 30 September 2011, 23:09
Ludington
Level Contributor
68 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: State Park Closure

Thanks everyone, we've been to Door County before but just visited the towns so we were looking forward to exploring the nature, but it sounds like we can still get in some sight seeing......... and if not I can always shop :-)

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
995 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: State Park Closure

State Parks closed until Monday. County parks on case by case basis.

Gills Rock is not a park, it is a village at the north end of the peninsula

Egg Harbor is open, Fish Creek has power this morning, Sister Bay has power. Not sure of other areas.

Call your motel before leaving to verify they are open!!!

It is a beautiful morning today, 46 degrees and sunny! Enjoy your trip.

Ludington
Level Contributor
68 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: State Park Closure

We have arrived and Cave Point is open, thanks again for your tips, now on to Bailey's Harbor.

9. Re: State Park Closure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 22:16