We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good fish boils

Eureka, ill
Level Contributor
7 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
good fish boils

we are planning a trip to Door county WI and have been told the trip will not be complete without going to a fish boil. So after looking at the information online we have found there are many places that have them. So our question is are there any that are better than others?

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good fish boils

It's not true that you have to go to a fish boil. We much prefer fish frys.

For a boil, I'd pick a place close to where you are staying. Essentially, the food is the same at the places, so the differences are in ambiance and service. Most places serve cafeteria-style. Pelletier's in Fish Creek has boils every half hour and serves with waitresses. Ask for a tail piece.

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good fish boils

White gull- Fancier setting

Pelletier's- It's what they do, they do it well, waitress

Old Post Office- Buffet style- no beer, wine or liquor in Ephraim

Viking Grill- In Ellison Bay, folksy, casual, laid back

Those are the ones I am familiar with

Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good fish boils

White Gull is our favorite. Nice setting and good boil. You'll need reservations as they book up quick.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
187 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good fish boils

I have been to Pelletier's many times but I am thinking I will try someplace else this year. The last time I went, the service was borderline rude (the waitress was barely civil) and I'm kind of tired of Pelletier's menu -- for example, the "fresh breads" they give you are just slices of white and dark rye bread -- regular cheap bagged bread like you get at the supermarket, and the pie not the best. I think the meal is overpriced. Frankly, all fish boils are overpriced, but the fish itself is delicious -- tender and juicy. Just be mindful of bones; fish boil fish is not fileted for you.

Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good fish boils

Not a fan of Pelletier's.

Viking was good but you are eating in a school cafeteria setting with the plastic divider trays to boot.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good fish boils

I enjoy watching a fish boil far more than eating the results. You can easily witness the activity at Viking. It's fun watching the process, but there are far better ways to enjoy Door County fish IMO.

Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good fish boils

Another place we walked out of was Rowleys Bay. They have "All You Can Eat" fish boil which had me hooked.

We had my mom and dad up from AZ and we went in, place was empty in early August which led us to look at the buffett after we were seated and said "thanks but no-thanks" and left.

The fish looked a day old sitting under a heat lamp, also no preview of the actual boil process which is the main part of the show.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: good fish boils

Re: Rowleys Bay Resort. The boil presentation begins at 4:30, and the boilover is at 5 PM. They do have a "show", but you presumably arrived too late to see it.

Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: good fish boils

Ok thanks. We arrived early as I remember but probably just after the boil over.

10. Re: good fish boils

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2012, 17:26