We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute 2 night trip recommendation

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
184 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute 2 night trip recommendation

Hi, everyone,

We are trying to catch a couple of days in Door County this week. Any recommendation on last minute stay/ activities with an 8-year old (it's our first time in Door County)?

Thank you!

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute 2 night trip recommendation

There's a maritime museum in Sturgeon Bay.

Cana Island Lighthouse

Whitefish Dunes State Park and Cave Point Cty. Park (visit singing sand on dog part end of the beach at Whitefish)

Peninsula State Park

Wilson's in Ephraim for dessert

We enjoyed Bay Breeze Resort in Ephraim, they could be booked all through the week just as easily but you can sure try, sometimes there's cancellations in fact you can try www.doorcounty.com to search or contact the tourism bureau for openings in the Door

Edited: 06 August 2012, 16:38
cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute 2 night trip recommendation

Here's a few ideas to mull over if you've never been to Door County. We've never brought the gkids with us so I'm shootin' from the hip:

Take the ferry over to Washington Island, then a swim at Schoolhouse Beach, followed by ice cream before coming back on ferry.

If you don't have accommodations already, getting a room may be your biggest problem. Main Street Motel or Julie's in Fish Creek are recommended - if they have an opening. You can check my entries from our June stay if that helps.

Skyway Drive-in: they do two films every night, early film family, late film adult. Unique experience for the under 60 crowd.

Egg Harbor: Beach on County Hwy G, new, but crowded, parking limited. County park beach further down G is older but nice; changing rooms, etc at both. Fish off the pier.

Ephraim also has a townbeach right on 42, I believe.

Al Johnsons restaurant: Scandinavian has goats on roof, definately a unique place to eat.

Seems to me there used to be a dairy farm that gave tours. Check with the tourist bureau on that one. Great for a city kid.

Ice cream place in Founder's Square, Fish Creek.

You notice these are all places you can cut'm loose and wear'm out!!!.

This may be your first trip to Door county but it won't be your last. Trust me! Enjoy!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
184 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute 2 night trip recommendation

Thank you for all great ideas!

I'll post an update when we get back

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute 2 night trip recommendation

Don't wing it this week! Get reservations before you leave! Really, I'm serious......I live here.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute 2 night trip recommendation

Your child will enjoy THE Farm in Sturgeon Bay, PC Junction near Bailey's Harbor-even if just for some ice cream and to play in the outside kid area-and frozen custard at Not Licked Yet in Fish Creek. Washington Island is not worth the time and money for a two day trip-there is very little there, and it will shoot a day.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute 2 night trip recommendation

I'm sure they're already on the way, but here's a reminder to others. Door County lodging can be full during the summer and fall, particularly on the weekends. Plan ahead, they may also have minimum night stays.

7. Re: Last minute 2 night trip recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 09:18