We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is October 18-21 too late?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
216 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Is October 18-21 too late?

We are thinking of going up to DC Oct 18-21. I know that's past the "busy" fall time, but will there still be enough to do? Do a lot of the shops, restaurants, etc. close up? Or do they pretty much stay open all year? (I've already seen that the Peninsula Players & American Folklore Theatre only go until Oct. 14.) Just wondering if it's worth our time going up there that time of season.

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is October 18-21 too late?

Yes, most shops and restaurants will be open and it's a good time to catch some sales as some shops want to get rid of what they have left. The weather is nice, with mild days and crisp nights. Color on the leaves wil be so-so, but still nice.

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
995 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is October 18-21 too late?

"Just wondering if it's worth our time going up there that time of season."

I guess that depends on what you want to do. If you want to go to the beach, probably not. If you want festivals and concerts in the park, probably not. If you want to hang around a beautiful part of the state, relax, slow down, and just enjoy the county then most definitely. Just be prepared to accept that not everything will be open and things will be a bit slower as we recover from the busiest season in a long time!

Most seasonal businesses will close Oct 29. Which reminds me, I gotta call my plumber to get the pipes drained Nov 5th. Whoo whoo!

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is October 18-21 too late?

I've been to Door County during that time of year, and had a very good time. Great colors and I could still bike in a T-shirt and shorts during the day. I know there were plenty of restaurants open in the evening, but I don't think the Fish Creek shops were open late, like they are in the summer. I think you'll have plenty to do during the day, but your evening activities might be limited to campfires, restaurants and bars.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
187 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is October 18-21 too late?

I think you should go. There are some businesses and restaurants that close mid-October, but there are still plenty of things open throughout the fall. Heck, I go every year in mid-March -- when it's REALLY dead -- and I still find plenty to do in Door County. The best part of going in the off season is how uncrowded and relaxed it is, and getting off-season/shoulder season rates at whatever lodgings you choose. Plus, it's not likely to be terribly cold yet. If you enjoy the outdoors and would like to hike or bike in the parks, this is a great time to go.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
216 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is October 18-21 too late?

Thanks everyone! I figure the state & county parks never close, so there's always scenery to see! We knew planning a fall trip to WI wouldn't include beaches & swimming anyway! ;) And the more I looked, it does look like a lot of stores that are seasonal reduce their hours after October. I don't expect to see a lot of color by that time, but it sounds like there's still plenty to see & do regardless!

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is October 18-21 too late?

Personally I love going up to DC in any season. Yes, late October is much quieter, but still a gorgeous time to walk the many trails through all the various parks. We live in Geneva, IL so it's a 5 hour drive for us, but well worth it once we arrive. Stay at the Beachfront Inn in Baileys Harbor. Lovely accommodations at a very reasonable price and they have a sand beach. They also, offer condominiums right across the street and a lovely 2 bedroom cabin one mile away.

Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is October 18-21 too late?

Call the Harbor House Inn in Gills Rock. Stayed there this weekend, and it was great.

Edited: 08 October 2012, 03:12
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,587 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is October 18-21 too late?

if you're outdoorsy, then you could easily spend a good part of a day hiking and sightseeing peninsula state park... also check out cave point county park.... not sure how far along the colors are up there, but you still might catch some color in pockets.... actually, i like it when a forest is past "peak" , but still has enough to be beautiful....

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is October 18-21 too late?

FYI, Cave Point is looking a bit different. The water level is extremely low, couldn't believe it. You could walk for yards at should have been underwater.

We were in DC last week and the colors were holding up better than than in some other parts of the state. I think you'll still enjoy it, just check times of places in advance, in case they have more limited hours. I didn't realize the shops at the Settlement are mainly closed on Tuesdays, but that may be year round. We were told that it's not until November that there's a major decrease in hours.

We love Newport Resort in Egg Harbor for its space and wonderful pool, but this year we were intrigued by the Baypoint Inn on the northern end of Egg Harbor. Looks very nice, reviews are outstanding (except for two old, weird ones). I think we'll consider it.

If we can, we'd head back around that same time, so yes, go for it.

10. Re: Is October 18-21 too late?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2013, 10:15