We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are package deal promos worth it?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Are package deal promos worth it?

I know it's hard to generalize, but what experience have people had regarding package deals? The DC visitors bureau has some promos at specific locations and I'm trying to decide if I'm getting a savings or not. I'm leery of doing this because what if we do a golf package and it rains? Do I really want to take a Segway tour?

Has anybody found that the deals are so much better than trying to do it on your own? Once we did a golf deal and did save on the cost of the golf. The locations included are generally very nice (sometimes you get so-so places just trying to increase business). I know I have to do the math myself, but I just wondered if anyone had any specific problems or has seen real benefits to them.

We usually stay at Newport Resort in Egg Harbor, but have also done Somerset Inn, High Point Inn and Egg Harbor Lodge. I'm thinking of trying something different.

Glide N.E.W. - Segway the Door Tours
Segway Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours
Glide N.E.W. - Segway the Door Tours
Segway Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,070 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are package deal promos worth it?

If you like to play golf at great courses, and don't mind spending money, you can stay at Horseshoe Bay Farms and play their private course.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are package deal promos worth it?

I have a promo for Horseshoe Bay in our Packer coupon book and didn't know anything about it. It's a $99 one day membership ($200 value) includes green fees, cart access to clubhouse. That's just for the golf, not staying there.That means it's $99 per person for golf, is it worth it? We usually play Peninsula, have also done the other full courses. I'll have to see what the rates are, but that's still pretty steep.

I had thought it was a 9 hole course, that must be a different one. Whoa, just checked out their webpage, that ain't no pitch n 'putt! Not sure if they even WANT the likes of me and Mr. FTG!

Edited: 05 September 2012, 15:11
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,070 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are package deal promos worth it?

Horseshoe Bay is a private 18 hole course, so there are no public rates to compare. Is it worth it? That's up to each individual to decide. If you are an excellent golfer that can enjoy and appreciate a top course (for example, the kind of person who would golf at Whistling Straits, Blackwolf Run, or Erin Hills), the extra $44 per golfer over Peninsula is probably a no brainer. But, if you are a less proficient golfer who is challenged by Peninsula, you probably don't want to go to Horseshoe Bay.

The nine hole course in Egg Harbor is Stonehedge.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are package deal promos worth it?

Well DH plays Straits and BWR, we'll just say I'm a bit less proficient. BUT I pay a lot less per stroke, right?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are package deal promos worth it?

>>>The DC visitors bureau has some promos at specific locations and I'm trying to decide if I'm getting a savings or not.<<<

Generally speaking whenever I'm considering a packaged "promo" deal, the only real way to tell if you're getting a good deal is to price the offering ala carte myself . . . making sure apples to apples and no substitutions.

For most of my travel, I've found that I can put together as good or better a package for the price, so I rarely use them.

Belleville, IL
Level Contributor
305 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are package deal promos worth it?

I looked at some of the package deals while planning our upcoming Door County vacation. It looked like if you were staying during the week, you might be getting a better deal with some of the packages as they seemed to include a coupon for dinner, a tour, etc. for about the same price as just booking the room alone.

For the weekends, they didn't seem to be that good of a deal though as the prices were higher than what the items looked like alone. That is just from the few packages I priced out, I'm sure it varies on the resort and extras offered.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are package deal promos worth it?

Usually I really enjoy planning a vacation, no matter how short (this will be only two nights). But life's been pretty busy right now and it seems a bit of a chore. I did eliminate a few due to location or time-frame but I guess I'll have to do it the old-fashioned way and start researching.

8. Re: Are package deal promos worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Door County
Recent Conversations