We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which restaurant has the best Friday fish fry?

Ohio
Level Contributor
451 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Which restaurant has the best Friday fish fry?

Five of us will be visiting Door County toward the end of August for a week ...renting a house in Ellison Bay. We all love fish ...so we were considering a "fish boil" ...but, after reading about them on previous TA posts, I read that the fish is not boned and the prospect of bringing my hemostats to debone the fish somehow did not appeal to me. So ...we have decided to try a Friday night fish fry ...hopefully, the fish is deboned. I have been reading the reviews of the various restaurants that offer fish fries along with previous TA posts on the subject. However, I'm no closer to selecting a restaurant/supper club etc for a Friday fish fry then when I started my search. All the restaurant fish fries have good reviews as well as bad reviews. So...I guess I will ask the question again...even though it has been asked in previous years, "which restaurant has the most consistent best tastiest Friday fish fry"? Even though we will be staying in Ellison Bay, we can drive to hopefully this best fish fry. We would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Ellison Bay
Ellison Bay
Door County, WI
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,155 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which restaurant has the best Friday fish fry?

Sorry, but there is no answer to your question. Different people like different places.

I think the more popular places have fried fish on the nightly menu, and have fish fry specials more than one night a week. The latter includes Sister Bay Bowl, Cornerstone and Greenwood. Sister Bay Bowl also serves their fish fry all day Friday. Also, lots of places have fried perch sandwiches on their menu.

If you'd prefer fish with a lighter batter, try pan-fried fish. Cornerstone and Shoreline, among others, serve this.

My favorite Door County fish is locally-caught broiled whitefish, which is sold at lots of places.

Mentioned in this post
Greenwood
Greenwood
Wisconsin
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,155 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which restaurant has the best Friday fish fry?

If you are not sure what kid of fish to get, try the Cornerstone in Bailey's Harbor. They offer a combo fish fry with three kids of fish. The Mink River Basin in Ellison Bay has all you can eat fish frys with different types of fish.

Mentioned in this post
Ellison Bay
Ellison Bay
Door County, WI
Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which restaurant has the best Friday fish fry?

Do a fish boil, c'mon, be a sport! Waitress will show you how to de-bone your fish...

If you are still going to do a fish fry a little known secret is Wayne Voight's fish at the Stonehedge golf course. Egg Harbor locals love it or Kyle's fish fry at the Peninsula Pub.

Mentioned in this post
Egg Harbor
Egg Harbor
Door County, WI
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,155 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which restaurant has the best Friday fish fry?

If you reconsider the fish boil, try Rowley's Bay Resort. It's close to your rental. Their fish boil includes a dinner buffet. If you find you don't care for the fish, you'll have plenty of other choices.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,478 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which restaurant has the best Friday fish fry?

Sister Bay Bowl is popular. It's very typical WI fare. I thought it was good, but as much as I love fish, typical fish frys aren't my favorite. This is a really bizarre comment, but Culver's has really good fried fish. However, it's a chain restaurant and the one I prefer is cod. Hardly a Wisconsin Fish Fry.

Sorry Sailing, I'm no fan of fish boils. They're a neat experience but as far as cuisine-meh, white foods all boiled together?? However Whitefish is very good, I'd prefer a good order of that, but a fish fry in WI often means perch (which I liken to shoe leather, the thickness, not the flavor). I almost forgot, we had good fish at Northern Grill a few years ago, one of the better one's we've had.

Sailing, thanks for the tip about Stonehedge, maybe we'll eat there on Monday if we can get a tee-time. DARN! I just saw the fish is only on Friday, I SHOULD have known. But we had some really tasty homemade sweet rolls there a few years ago. I'd go back just for those.

Edited: 29 July 2014, 16:29
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,155 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which restaurant has the best Friday fish fry?

Try the broiled or fried whitefish at the Greenwood. Broiled whitefish is always on the menu, and I think it is one of the specials on Mondays. Their fish fry is on Wednesday and Friday.

Mentioned in this post
Greenwood
Greenwood
Wisconsin
Ohio
Level Contributor
451 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which restaurant has the best Friday fish fry?

Thanks so much to everyone for all of your help... We will take a look at all of those places that everyone mentioned. The fish boil still does not excite me though. We appreciate everybody's advice.

Lindenhurst...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Which restaurant has the best Friday fish fry?

That's an easy one. Sister bay Bowl. The absolute best fried perch (and that's the type of fish you want to eat in DC). I have been going there all my life. Get there early though, it will be packed on a Friday night. They serve it daily, so I would suggest a weekday if you can. The special really isn't that special. It's 16.00 instead of 22.00 but you get less fish. Not sure why they call it a special. You won't be disappointed!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
187 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which restaurant has the best Friday fish fry?

Sailing, is the Wayne Voight you mentioned the same one who owned the former Voight's Supper Club (which is now the Mink River Basin Supper Club)? Thanks for the tip; I'm up here now and thinking it would be nice to go to a fish fry this Friday.

10. Re: Which restaurant has the best Friday fish fry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 05:16