We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sickness at the Barcelo

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
1 review
Save Topic
sickness at the Barcelo

I have been reading at the reviews about the illness that has happen there.We are due to go in Sept and getting very nervious about it.We have gone to the Barcelo in the Riveria Maya area and there are not the issues they have here.This is our first trip to the west coast of Mexico we always stay in the Riveria area and is our 8 trip to an all inclusive ,We have never been to any resort that have had the issues they are having.Thinking about changing resorts if thing dont get better!!!

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sickness at the Barcelo

If you look at this official Mexican Government site:

semarnat.gob.mx/OTROS/…info_playas.aspx

You will see that Mismaloya is second to Buceiras in bacteria in the ocean water( anything over 500 is very bad) ...kinda like swimming in a toilet.This last January a friend got very sick while swimming at Los Alaya, skin rash and 103 temperature for 3 days, nasty

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
442 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sickness at the Barcelo

While I dont doubt that is true about the ocean water, most of the people that got sick at Barcelo stayed in the pool area....the management is trying to say there was a virus going around the hotel......they seem to be sweeping this matter under the rug.............they had the same problem 3 years ago and blamed it on a cruise ship guest spreading a virus.....

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
969 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sickness at the Barcelo

tamwalt....

Go on the PV Forum and you can get more info. on this and I think you will feel more at ease.

We are going in June and I too started reading the reviews, getting very alarmed as there are 4 of us booked.

We ran into a similar situation in Jamaica a few years back. From what I have heard and read this does not happen often at AI resorts, yet it is not uncommon and can happen anywhere. All it takes is one person/group to be infected with a virus and it can spread rapidly, but it will run its course.

The resort needs to take acknowledge, take responsibility and act on it. I think Barcelo has and if you go on the PV Forum and read some of the posts I think you will feel better.

Also..... email management directly as the response is fast and any questions you may have will be answered.

Willows

Gurnee
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sickness at the Barcelo

Hi,

We are planning a family vacation of 11 at the Barcelo Resort and are concerned about the sickness that tranpired in late March and April and are considering changing our resort accommodations. Have you heard anymore about the iillness that was going on at that period and have they taken issue to that problem?

Arizona
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sickness at the Barcelo

I have read up on this issue myself and here is my conclusion. The viral epidemic was similar to one common on cruise ships, perhaps cruise ship patrons brought it to the resort? Some of them do use day passes at the resorts. Also I have to say one thing I do notice in Mexico which I don't see in other countries is their quick reaction to any type of health scare. They have hand sanitizer all over the place, most kitchen personnel wear masks. I give them an A+ for their positve quick reaction! You don't see this in the states or in other countries that I have visited. If I could afford Barcelo I would be there in a New York minute! Go for it! Take probiotics before you leave to build up your intestinal tract. This can be said for going anywhere out of your normal environment. I know this is old but perhaps someone else may be curious.

6. Re: sickness at the Barcelo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Mismaloya
Recent Conversations