We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari by Horseback

Pennsylvania
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safari by Horseback

Does anyone have any names for good safaris on horseback with are around 3-4 days and not 8 days? i am also on a budget. Thanks!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari by Horseback

The only reputable riding safari companies I know of are Offbeat, Safaris Unlimited and Ride Kenya but, as far as I'm aware, none of their horseback safaris are less than 7 days. I don't think anyone reputable here does it "on a budget" due to logistics costs, sorry.

Edited: 11 June 2012, 06:55
Brisbane Queensland...
Level Contributor
106 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari by Horseback

Ride Kenya offer some day rides out of Ol Donyo Lodge, and I think Offbeat may also offer a similar deal.

Neither of these providers are low cost and both expect riders to be quite competent , so if you are not a strong rider, you might be disappointed.

I'm only a few days away from an Offbeat experience, so feel free to pm me for some feedback in a few weeks.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari by Horseback

"Neither of these providers are low cost and both expect riders to be quite competent"

Good point - forgot to mention this. The ability to trot, canter and jump competently are required by most of these companies in case of the need to "make a quick exit" ;-)

nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari by Horseback

There's also Borana, in addition to those mentioned.

Also at Loisaba, as I recall.

There are some international tour operators who specialize in safari on horseback, all conducted on lands outside any of the national parks/reserves.

Not a rider myself, can't advise specifics as to level/capability needed of riders.

5. Re: Safari by Horseback

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 15:16