We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pakse to Champasak

Kingscliff...
5 posts
Save Topic
Pakse to Champasak

Hi

Is it easy to travel from Pakse to Champasak town? I understand there are frequent buses running from the Dao Heung market. Do these go right into Champasak town?

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pakse to Champasak

Yes, its easy.

Champasak isn't a town but rather a district - a collection of villages that run for 12km along the Mekong, on the other side from Pakse and about 30km further south.

There are buses all the way by road over the newish Japanese bridge, or more frequently buses to the ferry wharf across the river from Champasak. These run from the bus station a few km outh of Pakse centre (take a tuktuk from town). There are also minibuses organised by travel agents in town.

Alternatively, it is a 1 hour rented motorbike ride.

Cordoba, Argentina
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pakse to Champasak

Hello Bluecramp, thank you for the information, I had the same doubt. I´ll try to contact travel agents to book it in a joint tour, but they allways offer me private tours, and sincerely I can´t afford these prices.

Could you please mention to me some travel agency in Pakse that organize joint tours?

Thank yoy very much.

Itati

Edited: 07 January 2013, 23:53
Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pakse to Champasak

Itati - try the travel agency at the Lanekham guesthouse in the middle of town - they have daily shared minibuses.

Cordoba, Argentina
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Pakse to Champasak

Hello Bluecramp!! Thank you very much for the information!!

I´ll try there so, to share the experience later.

Best regards,

Itati

Bountiful, Utah
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Pakse to Champasak

Champasak is a town. A town named after the district, it's near wat phou, old ruins, popular to visit by tourists. And about two hours south of pakse.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pakse to Champasak

in the same road as the Lan Kham hotel( on the main road going over the bridge (South Road no. 13?) and opposite a supermarket that sells Western food ,is an Internet cafe run by a young Western man (could be French) . I used the Internet over 3 days and each time he was continually busy taking bookings for tours and transfers to many places . There are also bikes and motorbikes parked outside outside for hire. Judging by the amount of business he was doing , I can assume that he has a good reputation. Sorry I do not remember the name .

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,060 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pakse to Champasak

Bluecramp,

I assume the normal buses go on a regular basis from Pakse to Champasak? Might be easier than getting into a crowded Minibus (was at least my preference last year)

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pakse to Champasak

Yes, Scotsman, the buses are regular but take longer than the tourist minibuses of course, as they service all the villages en route also. The buses from the station south of Pakse goes to the ferry crossing, so it would be worth finding out where the buses that use the new ADB road (via Japanese bridge) go from - quicker and easier.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pakse to Champasak

How about a return trip? I will stay overnight in Champasak and go back to Pakse around noon next day. Someone mentioned that you have to catch randomly passing sǎwngthǎew at KM30 Sign. Are there any regular buses?

Hanoi
Level Contributor
377 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pakse to Champasak

I found it best to rent a bike and visit Champasac since the ride gives you "free stops" to visit many pagodas, sites and villages that dot along the road from main Champasac boat dock to the Champasac site.

Public bus may not a best choice so second choice will be joint trip. For overnight trip, you could take joint trip on the go and return on public bus next day

Edited: 27 August 2013, 10:38
Reply to: Pakse to Champasak
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Champasak Town