We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Kalaw to Nyaungshwe

Which Kalaw hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Kalaw to Nyaungshwe

I'll be in Mynamar soon, and was thinking of travelling from Kalaw to Nyaungshwe. I read it leaves Kalaw each day approx 11:00am and travels approx 4 hrs. Anyone able to confirm if this is possible, or a good plan rather than by taxi?

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Train from Kalaw to Nyaungshwe

We caught the train and it was great! Only tourists on board. It rolled up at 11:00am sharp. Had to pay 3USD each, show passports and they wrote out a nice ticket, and given best seats in an upper class carriage. The train rocks and rolls its way thru lovely scenery for 3.5 hrs which included a 30m side track while another train passed on the single track. As soon as we arrived taxi drivers appeared before the train had stopped poking heads thru the window asking if we wanted taxi to Nuang Shwe. Bags poked out the windows and away we went. Gold!

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
70 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Train from Kalaw to Nyaungshwe

I took the train from Kalaw to Shwenyaung a few weeks back. I took the normal class, so it was USD1. Nice to mix with the locals in the train.

The train reaches Kalaw about 11am. Be there around 10.30am to get the ticket. Don't go earlier because the Train Master *will not* sell you the ticket. The train ride is about 3 hours with about an hour of waiting time at the in-between stations for the oncoming train to pass. So, in all, it will take about 4 hours.

Once you reach Shwenyaung, just walk out all the way until you reach the T-junction at the main road. You can take a bike taxi for 3000 kyats. Bargain accordingly or you can wait for a pickup truck and pay 500 kyats to get to the market at Nyaungshwe.

I took some shots where the landscape is simply amazing between Kalaw to Heho.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

If you enjoy the photos, please LIKE my FB page and the Kalaw-Heho album :)

I'm halfway writing a blog post for my Kalaw trekking and the train ride. Watch out for it soon!

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
70 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Train from Kalaw to Nyaungshwe

I'd opened another thread to post my article...

tripadvisor.com.my/ShowTopic-g1016308-i12311…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Train from Kalaw to Nyaungshwe

Hello

Will be in Mandalay in March, 2014 and am planning to take a taxi from Mandalay to Thazi to connect with the slow train to ShweNyaung.

Have been told the train leaves at 6.00am from Thazi

is there only the one train from Thazi to ShweNyaung everyday ?

Thanks

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
70 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Train from Kalaw to Nyaungshwe

Yes I think so. Checkout my link to my article where you can see a photo of the train timetable.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Train from Kalaw to Nyaungshwe

Thanks for the reply and I will check out your post.

uk
Level Contributor
162 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Train from Kalaw to Nyaungshwe

Only 1 train per day, and you cannot absolutely count on it going. Derailings are very frequent on this stretch, and can cause massive delays or cancellation. Still,it's a beautiful ride, and if for any reason the train doesn't go you can still catch a bus along the same route, and the scenery going by road is still good

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Train from Kalaw to Nyaungshwe

Thanks Caroline for the info.

I have had some experience on Burma trains having taken the Mandalay to Rangoon train several years ago and they certainly run to there own schedule or the drivers schedule in some cases. It was one of the many highlights of the trip.

My plan is to drive down from Mandalay to Thazi to connect with the train to ShweNyaung. Hoping there is an early morning train from Thazi to ShweNyaung but good to know there are buses if there is a problem.

Still searching for a timetable but not going until March next year so have plenty of time to research.

Thanks again for the info, have a great day

newcastle
Level Contributor
16 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Train from Kalaw to Nyaungshwe

What did you end up doing? I will be needing to get a family of 5 from Nyaungshwe to Kalaw in a couple of weeks. What would be my best option?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Train from Kalaw to Nyaungshwe

Get the train, its a great experience. Take no notice of that comment of waste of time, obviously no idea and never done it.

Edited: 29 March 2014, 10:16