We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance and Accessability to Public Beaches from Shimoda

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Topic
Distance and Accessability to Public Beaches from Shimoda

My wife and I are planning a trip this summer at the end of June, we are hoping to stay at the Inn Seiryuso upon recommendation of an old acquaintance. We will be coming from Tokyo and are planning to stay 1 night at the Ryokan; I was hoping to learn:

1) Will it be possible to get to the nearby beaches (Tatadohama, Ryugu or Shirahama) on the following day and take a late train back to Tokyo or…

2) Should we consider a hotel for another night?

3) We were hoping to put our luggage in a locker at the Shimoda station during the day while at the beach?

Any suggestions or advice is graciously appreciated. Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,325 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance and Accessability to Public Beaches from Shimoda

1) it takes 5+ hours from Shirahama back to Tokyo by train, and the last train for same day connection leaves Shirahama at 18:15 Please refer to google maps and train planner www.hyperdia.com

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,498 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance and Accessability to Public Beaches from Shimoda

Note that Inn Seiryuso is still one rail station away from Shimoda. For sightseeing in Shimoda itself and easy access to nearby Shirahama Beach, consider staying in Shimoda itself. Shirahama is just 10 min bus away from Shimoda.

9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance and Accessability to Public Beaches from Shimoda

Hi there,

Bibimbob, perhaps you checked connections for the wrong Shirahama. Shirahama means "white beach" and there are many in Japan. Maybe you are mixed up with Shirahama in Wakayama? Shirahama in Shimoda (Izukyu Shimoda is the name if the station here. There are also other Shimodas in Japan).

It takes less than 3 hours to get to Tokyo from Izukyu Shimoda. The bus to town from Shirahama takes about 10 minutes. Tatado is a little closer. Ryugu (means dragon's castle or villa) isn' really a beach. It is a kind of cave next to ocean with an opening on the top and one out to the sea. Right next to Ryugu is Sand Ski Hill. A huge Sand Dune out to the sea that people like to run or tobogan down. Both of these places are very picturesque. There are located in Toji and Kisami areas of Shimoda. Close to Goishihama and Ohama. There are lots of great restaurants and cafes in the Kisami Ohama area so you could have lunch there. There are also tons of great restaurants in town (around the station) for lunch or dinner. Town is also a nice place for a stroll. Check out Perry Road and more.

There are few busses to Toji but there are many busses everyday to Kisami (10 minutes by bus or a 1400 yen taxi ride). If you would like to see Ryugu you might want to consider taking a taxi. You could also take a bus to Kisami or Ohama and walk from there. There are lots of beaches in the Kisami area (south if the station) and other things to do and see.

If you ask me, you can do it all. Stay where you like, head to the beach and have lunch around Kisami, then back to town to stroll around and have dinner then get on the train back to Tokyo. Last train depends on the day of the week and time of year. The 8:06 from Izukyu Shimoda with a transfer in Ito and Atami will put you in Tokyo at 10:47. The 8:38 from Izukyu Shimoda with 2 transfers arrives in Tokyo at 11:16. If you don't like transferring trains I believe the last Odoriko (super express) leaves IZUKYUSHIMODA at around 4pm).

Please contact the super friendly folks at JR east English Info line for detailed train and bus schedules:

050 2016 1603

They can help you figure out the best connections, cheapest, fastest, or easiest way.

Happy travels!

Edited: 25 April 2014, 04:10
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,351 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance and Accessability to Public Beaches from Shimoda

Yep, there is Nanki Shirahama (White Beach in Southern Wakayama; more well known), as well as Izu Shirahama in Shimoda, apart from other shirahamas around Japan.

Izu Shirahama is only about 5km away in the East from Izukyu Shimoda Station. It can be visited by a taxi ride, but there are also bus services.

translate.google.com/translate…

You can easily check up things using Hyperdia / Jorudan schedules and fares search engine. As mentioned, the station in Shimoda is Izukyu Shimoda (as the railway beyond Ito is owned and run by Izukyu Railway which runs through Ltd Exp Odoriko trains to/from Tokyo).

One night's stay should be fine, but two nights stay won't be bad either. It's seems a bit far away because of winding railway lines along the coast, but you do feel you've done a nice substantial trip; I find Southern Izu Area surprisingly sunny and "Southern"-like.

Izu Shirahama beach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTV670IhjMA

Izu Shimoda tourism official website:

http://www.shimoda-city.info/index_e.html

Izu Peninsula (Japan-Guide, concise): http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6310.html

Izu Peninsula (JNTO Practical Guide, detailed): jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-410.pdf

Shimoda (Wikitravel): http://wikitravel.org/en/Shimoda

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
350 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance and Accessability to Public Beaches from Shimoda

Speaking of beaches in Izu, one of my favorites was Yumigahama Beach, for the memorable awabi (abalone) restaurant there. They would take live abalone living in tanks next door, grill it in teriyaki sauce and then serve it sliced on rice with the sauce poured over it. Of course not cheap, about 2200 yen as I recall.

Shirahama Beach is more for the younger set (the deadheads and surfers) and is more open to the waves whereas Yumigahara is more of a cove, better for families. Info on Yumigahara:

shizuoka-guide.com/foreign_search/…6016

…wordpress.com/fielding-field-trips/…

Lodgetabitabi, thanks for jogging my memory of Toji Beach! I've thought of this beach on occasion, but couldn't place it. I remember that big, sloping sand dune, and the cove with rocky outcroppings. I'm positive that here, I dined on wanko soba (!) while waiting for the bus. What's unusual about this is that wanko soba is normally associated with Iwate Prefecture way up north in Tohoku, e.g., Morioka.

Want to see flowers in December-January? It's right near Shimoda. Not so much a beach as a rocky shoreline:

izu-sakuraya.jp/english/…index.htm

Speaking of Shimoda, check out the blog below. The links at the bottom of the blog go into inordinate detail on Shimoda. In fact, the link above on Tsumezaki is from the blog. Not much comes up on a Google search for the cape or the daffodil festival there. I believe I found out about the festival from JNTO, but no info on their site now:

guillaumeerard.com/life-in-japan/sightseeing…

It's quite a journey to Shimoda from Tokyo. I highly recommend that when people do day trips (such as the Kawazu Sakura or Tsumezaki Festival, or visit the beaches), that you overnight in Shimoda city. There are plenty of cheap business hotels there, or swanky ryokans if you want.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 19:01
London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance and Accessability to Public Beaches from Shimoda

I was staying at a hotel in Tatadohama in July - I did a half-day Shimoda tour on foot (self-guided) one morning and spent a few hours in the afternoon on Tatadohama beach. It really depends on how long you want at the beach, and what time you have to take the train back to Tokyo, but Tatadohama is only about a 10-15 min car ride from Shimoda.

To be honest, in terms of tourist attractions, unless you are deeply interested in Commodore Perry's arrival to Shimoda and the subsequent opening up of Japan to foreign trade, it's not going to take you a lot of time to see Shimoda itself. It's quite a sleepy place.

leavingthecity.com/japan/…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Distance and Accessability to Public Beaches from Shimoda

Op asked the question in 2014.

Reply to: Distance and Accessability to Public Beaches from Shimoda
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Shimoda