We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking high from Pozze di Fasse

Port Carling, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Hiking high from Pozze di Fasse

Having trouble deciding on which full day hike we should choose from our base in Pozza di Fasse. We will have a car so could drive to a trail to start. Would be grateful for some recommendations to try to narrow down our choice. 6 hours hiking would be suitable climbing 3,000 feet. Suggestions for lower, shorter hikes for those who are less ambitious in our party would also be appreciated.

6 replies to this topic
Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
784 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking high from Pozze di Fasse

Hello,

I don't know the area that well, but there is plenty of walking in the Catinaccio/Rosengarten area. You can get a cable car up to the area from Vigo di Fassa which is just down the road.

I'm sure once you get to Pozza the tourist office or hotel will be able to help you with suggestions.

DD

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking high from Pozze di Fasse

We took the lift from Vigo di Fassa up to Rifugio Ciampedie, then hiked to Rif Catinaccio, Rif. Gardecia, Rif. Stella Alpino on 540 followed by 546. We were heading toward Rif. Pruess but didn't make it all the way there. Stunning scenery/rock formations starting at Rif. Ciampedie, then you go thru a forest type until Rif. Catinaccio where again there are fantastic rock formations on a clear day. Climbing gets a bit more difficult after Stella Alpino but it's not the most demanding trail.

Lots of trails in this area. You can get maps at the local tourist offices or on line (if you look hard enough). You can also search on the various rifugios to see pictures and get idea of the scenery.

This year we plan to take the lift up to Col Rodela near Campitello and do some hiking.

Ontario
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking high from Pozze di Fasse

Much appreciated. We are in the process of studying the map of the trails in the area but having never been before, we are attempting to select a hike without the benefit of context. Hope you enjoy your return to the area. Thanks again.

Ontario
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking high from Pozze di Fasse

Thanks for the details in your response. We will look into your suggestions. We have received the hiking maps from the Val di Fasse tourism office but the hikes are difficult to decide from when we are not familiar with the area. We are hoping for a high hike perhaps to the Marmalade from our base in Posse di Fasse. Don't know if doable within a days hike but we like to get up high if possible. Hope you enjoy your return to the area and have a great time. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Edited: 24 July 2012, 16:42
Bridgewater
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking high from Pozze di Fasse

I am having the same problem, as I'm trying to chose different places that we've not seen before for sightseeing and hiking on our next trip. With limited time and so many different options, I'm trying to optimize to get the best scenarios. I'm searching for the rifugios on the net to get pictures of them and the area around them for some idea of the scenery and ruggedness. Also sometimes you can find trip or hiking reports of others with pictures on the net which gives some idea of the areas. I've also used Google Images with some success to get pictures by typing the area or rifugio that I want to see in the query box.

Boise, ID
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking high from Pozze di Fasse

Similar to No. 2 above, take the bus to Rif Gareccia and then walk on up to Rif. Vajolet. You can then go up to rif. Alberto or rif Priincipe. From Principe, you get go up to the Passo Antermoa. Great rock spires and view, esp. if you continue to the pass. Around 3500 feet on a good trail. We're slow, and we took about 3 hours to the turn around place.

Or take the chair lift to Buffaure and walk along the Sass de Adam. You could take another life down the other side and then bus back to town. Spectacular views of mountains 360. Or, continue to rif. St. Nicolo and Contrin and then the long walk out. Fewer verts but a longer walk.

We picked up an English trekking map at our garn and it worked fine. There's a gazillion hikes in the area. Gillian Price's Shorter Walks the Dolomites has a lot of walks.

I can send a link to photos if you're interested.

Paul

Reply to: Hiking high from Pozze di Fasse
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pozza di Fassa
Recent Conversations
More Pozza di Fassa Topics