We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balestrate

Which Balestrate hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, New York
5 posts
Save Topic
Balestrate

I will be in balestrate for 3 weeks in June/July 2013. Any advice on restaurants, grocery stores, shops to visit, and other sights to see not in balestrate. I choose balestrate because I did not want to be in a very touristy location. Thank you in advance.

22 replies to this topic
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,161 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balestrate

I hope your stay is better than the one described here from Sept 2012

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1020805-i15006-k5…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balestrate

If your worried about the comments from lupaling stay at Alcamo marina, it has none of the rubbish and is a very safe clean beach. Its also very scenic in the middle of a bay surrounded by mountains.

Alcamo marina is not touristic but has a lot of local Alcamo residents with beach houses there. It also has a few lido's so you can easily buy some food and drink.

Close to Alcomo marina is castellmare del gulfi which does have more tourists but many restaurants.

Whilst on the west coast don't miss trapani, erice and suggesta.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,189 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Balestrate

Or stay in Trappeto....

Trappeto or Alcamo Marina:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1580720-i15109-k4…

Vagabonda

4. Re: Balestrate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 February 2013, 16:05

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,161 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Balestrate

I only linked to someone else's comments who had been there. I have never been to Balestrate.

After reading the comments of that podt and the posts that were generated as a result, of it, I don't think I would plan on staying there.

Edited: 02 February 2013, 16:57
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,189 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Balestrate

Certainly not with so many other options for local experiences - Trapani, Sciacca....

Public transport connections also aren't the most convenient.

Vagabonda

Rochester, New York
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Balestrate

Thank you for all of your advice. I will look into the other places suggested.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,189 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Balestrate

Do you plan to hire a car Lsch99? That would make a difference on the recommendations. It would also help to know if you intended to take many day trips from your base.

Trapani offers the most convenient public transport in Western Sicily.

Sicily in 4-5 days:

tripadvisor.com/…44542600

Sciacca doesn't have a train station and is only served by buses.

Vagabonda

Rochester, New York
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Balestrate

I woul like to rent a car but nobody here thinks I should drive in Sicily. I do very much wantto take day trips, mt . Etna and other places. Especially to the village where my grandmother grew up geraci siculo.

Edited: 03 February 2013, 18:03
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,161 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Balestrate

My daughter and I drove on the Autostrada and in small towns for 2 weeks in western Sicily with no problems. You do not want to drive in Palermo or it's ring road or Catania. The Palermo airprot is luckiy far from the city so driving west and south of it is no problem.

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Reply to: Balestrate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted