We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

balestrate

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
balestrate

Hi i am planning to spend a wk in balestrate at end of june. We are a couple and just want to relax on beach and eat out nice restaurants in the evening. I am a bit worried that the impression I'm getting about balestrate is that it is run down and dull. Is it a safe place at night. Are there many shops and restaurants.

16 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,916 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: balestrate

Welcome to Sicily ann f!

Surely there are more optimal destinations in Sicily than Balestrate, but safety isn't a concern.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k2848…

Vagabonda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: balestrate

I would try somewhere along the beach to the west, alcomo marina is a local place for example. There are better known places to the west of there.

Brucefil

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,916 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: balestrate

Even the beach at Castellammare del Golfo is not clean.

Perhaps further afield to Scopello, but the beaches are pebbly.

Vagabonda

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: balestrate

Thank you for your posts but was looking to stay close to palermo airport as we dont have a car.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,916 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: balestrate

The airport area is not convenient without a car. Public transport around the airport is not good at all.

Have you considered Cefalù?

Vagabonda

Brussels, Belgium
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: balestrate

Hello there! We are in a very similar situation, can not decide where to spent the second week after Cefalu and we have an offer in Balestrate. We come to Sicily 28.06.-12.7.14. We come and fly back from Palermo airport. Cefalu was the first choice to begin our holiday although it is probably not the most convenient spot to explore the main attractions in the east. We decided to visit 2,max. 3 places per week cause we wanted to have relaxing holiday without any rush but also to travel sometimes and visit the major attractions. As we really didnt want to miss Cefalu and because of the airport back we need to stay the second week around Palermo airport. Now we have two offers, one in Balestrate and another in Isola delle Femmine. From Balestrate is easier to get to San Vito Lo Cape, Trapani and also we planned to visit Agrigento the 2nd week but after 1 week in Cefalu Balestrate could be disappointing. On the other hand, there is Mondello beach just 2 km from accomodation in Isola delle Femmine and it is closer to the airport but it is far from the west side of Sicily. Is there may be any compromise to stay not far from airport and at the same time nice place? We will have a car. Thanks for any info/advice.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: balestrate

Why don't you sty in trapani, it's quite nice, you can go to the islands there, it's easy to get to Erice, suggesta is not far away and I am sure you could get a tour to agrigento and masala.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,916 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: balestrate

Welcome to Sicily Eli L!

And really avoid Balestrate and Isola delle Femmine!!

- tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k2848…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1055429-i25669-k7…

Stay in Trapani. Visit San Vito Lo Capo, Favignana....

Also note that there's not convenient transport from the surrounding towns to Palermo's airport.

Vagabonda

Edited: 22 June 2014, 22:51
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,956 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: balestrate

The Old town area of Trapani is pedestrian only. This map with the blue P show one of the parking areas outside the pedestrian zone

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,916 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: balestrate

There's a 24-hour ZTL in Trapani's historic centre, but the Old Town is not completely pedestrian only!

…trapani.it/web/index.php/uffici-e-servizi/p…

The streets are listed on the Comune di Trapani website.

…trapani.it/web/…1282-precisazioni-sulla-ztl

…trapani.it/web/index.php/news/1228-ampliame…

comune.trapani.it/turismo/mappa_trapani.pdf

Vagabonda

Reply to: balestrate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted