We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from dover to aljezur

Which Aljezur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
from dover to aljezur

We want to drive from Dover to Aljezur, not on motorways.

Anybody done this journey and the approx costs

Thanks

Terri

6 replies to this topic
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,129 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: from dover to aljezur

You can drive it in 33 hours. http://goo.gl/maps/qCNaC

You can map it out on Google maps, and click on 'avoid highways and avoid tolls'

Costs depend on how many days you're going to use for it (you will need to stay somewhere overnight) and what type of car you're driving. I guess you can figure that out, it's 2308 kilometer or 1434 mile.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,528 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from dover to aljezur

That's 33 hours without stopping. At all. Allow at least two full days and as FTHW says, one night stop which should probably be about halfway which will somewhere in Northern Spain. Friends of mine who drove down last year stopped in Vallodolid.

A couple of years before that they left Calais later in the morning and stopped overnight near Bordeaux then in Seville, which left them a comfortable drive the next morning to arrive at their accommodation at lunchtime.

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from dover to aljezur

I've done most of it it my time.

Off motorway it will take a lot longer that 33 hours in reality. Be aware that in France you will be to run very slow through many villages and small towns as speed limits can be down to 30 kph. Also watch out for the Gendarmerie.

In France, one can also save a lot by fueling up at the budget fuel stations that one can usually find accompanying most large shopping centres situated on the "peripheriques"(ring roads) of most big towns.

Heading for Aljezur "off-piste" in Portugal, I would cross the Spanish - Portuguese Frontier at Valencia de Alcatara or Badajoz in Spain and run Elvas, Estemoz, Evora, Aljustrel, Odemira, Odeceixe, Aljezur.

uk
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from dover to aljezur

Thanks to all you lovley people who replied to my query

Hope to go at end of March

Will be driving a diesel mondeo

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,129 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: from dover to aljezur

Give us some feedback? It may be useful for future travel.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,528 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: from dover to aljezur

My friends who came down by car last week report that Salamanca is a very good place for a night stop. The four of them managed a pretty decent tapas bar crawl they told me.

They spent a second night in Seville as there was no point in getting to their accommodation before the first check in time at 12noon.

Reply to: from dover to aljezur
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aljezur
Recent Conversations