We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Shimanto

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Shimanto

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Shimanto within 6 months to visit his mother who is elderly. We plan to take a train from Tokyo. I was wondering how difficult it will be to rent a car once we arrive in Kochi.

6 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Shimanto

www2.tocoo.jp/… (Nippon rent-a-car in Kochi)

www2.tocoo.jp/… (Nissan rent-a-car in Kochi)

www2.tocoo.jp/… (Times rent-a-car in Kochi)

rent.toyota.co.jp/rental/1-4-1-2.aspx… (Toyota rent-a-car in Kochi)

rent.toyota.co.jp/rental/1-4-1-2.aspx… (Toyota rent-a-car in Shimanto)

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Shimanto

Should be easy to rent a car as long as you either of you have a Japanese driver's license or an International Driving Permit. Car rental firms are clustered around major stations.

Eki-rental's site is not in English but they have a train & car discount deal http://www.ekiren.co.jp/

Toyota https://rent.toyota.co.jp/en/index.html

Nippon www.nipponrentacar.co.jp/english/index.html

Nissan nissan-rentacar.com/english/…ttl_area_anc

You could rent a car in Okayama too.

Toyota, Nippon & Eki-rental, Shimanto car rental are all in the Shimanto tourist guide.

www.shimanto-kankou.com/pdf/english2.pdf

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Shimanto

This is very helpful. Thank you very much!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Shimanto

Thank you, this is great!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Shimanto

I personally recommend to fly to Kochi Airport or Matsuyama Airport, but it's not critical point. Enjoy your trip.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Shimanto

Hi - we have just returned from three weeks in Japan, ten days of which were on Shikoku and we hired a car. For us, driving there was no problem as we drive on the same side of the road in NZ. We went to Nissan because they promised an English version or aspect to the GPS and indeed it was - with a few quirks. Impossible to feed in places but we discovered it accepted phone numbers so we became avid collectors of phone numbers. Just type in the phone number and the brilliant machine located where we wanted to go. We even used it for places we wanted to detour through. So every travel agency we made sure the pamphlets they gave us had phone numbers too. We hired the car in Takamatsu after taking the bus from Osaka. I think Nissan are also present in Kochi but starting in Takamatsu gives you the opportunity to visit some really worthwhile places on your way to Kochi. We arranged the car a few weeks prior to leaving home.

Reply to: Travel to Shimanto
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Shimanto
Recent Conversations