We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alacati Possibly Overrated? Elsewhere on Nearby Coast?

Which Alacati hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
69 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Alacati Possibly Overrated? Elsewhere on Nearby Coast?

I don't know the answer, but I was wondering if anyone can offer a counter opinion from all the raves. We will be in Turkey in May and want to do a half day in Ephesus and then some days on the coast nearby. Alacati seem beautiful, but a bit overhyped. Small overpriced hotels and B&Bs opened in the last few years by urban Turks cashing in on the boom. Expensive chic international restaurants opened as well. I kind of thought twice when reading that some small hotels advertised being built recently from Alacati stone remnants. Basically a pile of rocks made to look traditional. (This reminds me to what has happened to Key West (Florida) neighborhoods over the last 20 years. Now there is several B&Bs on every n'hood street and the people who work there have to live, eat and drink on other keys and the outskirts.) Has Alacati lost authenticity?

19 replies to this topic
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alacati Possibly Overrated? Elsewhere on Nearby Coast?

Alaçatı is exquisite...it is also now elite and expensive.So many of Turkeys wealthy and famous have chosen to come here in favour of Bodrum.The paparazzi are not welcome here so these people can relax without some berk shoving a camera in their face every 2 minutes..Of course this means prices are high.I would not say it is overrated just deliberately expensive :-/ and there is no doubt that these wealthy patrons have attracted people offering upscale accomodation and eateries...of course.

Most of the hotels are converted old Greek stone houses.The newer ones have been built using remnants of those beyond saving plus other local materials so they are sympathetic to the village and the area.It certainly isn't a case of clumping together a load old rocks and slapping a roof on them.

Ilıca village is similar in all the above respects too.

You could consider Çeşme Town itself which has cheaper but still very nice accomodation or perhaps Dalyanköyü too,although this is quieter and smaller.Karaburunu too is lovely if you want somewhere quieter and more remote.

I wouldn't stay in Alaçatı as it is way outside my means.If I could afford to then.... maybe yes, just for an odd night just to experience the atmosphere of the town,as it is well...I can dream of being that rich!

Away from the peninsula there is eski Foça which is a little fishing village and very nice,much cheaper too.Or there is Özdere just to the south,a nice place with an excellent beach.There are small hotels there but also a few big smart complexes too.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,719 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alacati Possibly Overrated? Elsewhere on Nearby Coast?

If you plan to visit Ephesus, you'll be staying in Selcuk, surely? It's near enough to the sea (10 km) and a great base for further exploration. Your post suggests you're not just interested in sitting on a beach. Maybe Sirince, up the hill from here, would suit you, though it's too touristic for my taste.

Texas
Level Contributor
69 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alacati Possibly Overrated? Elsewhere on Nearby Coast?

Thanks Sarikanarya. Your post is very informative and explains what one can expect in Alacati and other towns nearby. My question was posed in a way to get a response from someone like yourself who would give both the positives and negatives. Alacati does seem beautiful. Boutiquey, but beautiful. Based on the May rates, they are comparable to what might expect in popular areas in the U.S. The fact that Turks are the primary tourists is better in our view. We prefer to avoid areas that are heavily traveled by Western tourists as much as possible. Of course, that is the paradox of the tourist who tries to avoid touristy places.

Robert L, I am sorry but with limited time, we will probably only spend a 1/2 day seeing the Ephesus ruins and then grab a meal in Selcuk. You are correct we don't have time to lay on a beach all day. However, there is always something magical about the sea anywhere. Being able to walk along the shore, enjoying seafood, watching boats sail in and out of the harbor, etc.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,719 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alacati Possibly Overrated? Elsewhere on Nearby Coast?

Perhaps you should look at Eski Foca - or, if you can go a bit further away, Datca, but that's at the end of a long peninsula. A fun way to get there is to visit Bodrum and then use the ferry across the gulf (2 hours). Those areas (except Bodrum of course) are not visited so much by foreigners.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alacati Possibly Overrated? Elsewhere on Nearby Coast?

Haven't been there myself, but close Turkish friends were there, they laughed so much with it, they said it is nothing else than anywhere else in Turkey, only you just pay a hell lot more. And you have to be like a tree, there is almost always a very strong wind there. now İ know İ can trust my friends opinion on this. They say it is a hype. Old Foca is pretty, if you like places like that Bozcaada would be good to visit too.

Good luck!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alacati Possibly Overrated? Elsewhere on Nearby Coast?

Oh ouch :) that's probably a bit unfair,Alaçatı really is sweet with a pleasant,relaxed atmosphere but yes,by Turkish standards expensive.

Eski Foça is lovely and very normal prices too.

Another little place just south of the Çeşme Peninsula and closer to Selçuk is Sığacık(pron.Suh-a-chuk),the seaside village part of Seferihisar,Turkey's first "citta slow"(slow city).This is very nice and a place that Çeşme DE,Dande and I try to keep secret LOL!

From Selçuk there are direct buses there now which is useful if you don't have a car.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,719 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alacati Possibly Overrated? Elsewhere on Nearby Coast?

Oh sarikanarya I was going to suggest Sığacık though I haven't been there for years. Like you, I also hope nobody notices that I've mentioned the Datca peninsula, which I try to keep secret! ((But which I can't help mentioning.))

Texas
Level Contributor
69 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alacati Possibly Overrated? Elsewhere on Nearby Coast?

Sarikanarya & RobertL, I will keep Sığacık our little secret. Do you recommend any small hotels/inns in the Sığacık/Seferihisar area? There does not seem to be a lot of hotel reviews for other than the large resorts. My wife and I usually do not stay at big resorts. We do not need a lot of amenities. By the sounds of it, a nice Turkish breakfast in the morning would be a good thing.

PS- Call me suspicious, but I don't trust places with a handful of reviews in which every reviewer has only written one or two reviews. When someone has written dozens of reviews for many different places, their review carries a lot of weight.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alacati Possibly Overrated? Elsewhere on Nearby Coast?

The clue that this place is little known to foreign tourists is the lack of reviews for hotels there.Thats good as it means it's unspoilt but bad as it means you may need to take some chances if you can't find reviews.

Some of the following web sites only have Turkish so you may need to use Google Translate or similar.

http://www.teospension.com.tr/en/

http://www.sigacikpansiyon.net/

http://www.otelantik.com/en/

http://www.ecer.web.tr/english.htm

www.konvoycountryclub.com/index.asp…

This gives you a selection of different styles and prices to check out.Hope something appeals.

Texas
Level Contributor
69 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alacati Possibly Overrated? Elsewhere on Nearby Coast?

Thanks again Sarikanarya. You are correct about less reviews, less foreign tourists. As the poet Robert Frost wrote in The Road Less Taken:

"I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference."

Reply to: Alacati Possibly Overrated? Elsewhere on Nearby Coast?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alacati