We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lanta vs. Lipe!

san francisco
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Lanta vs. Lipe!

Oh no... I got sucked into reading about Ko Lanta and am now trying to figure out if it's a better option for a family (2 parents in their fifities, me + bf + brother, 25). We're going 1st week of March, so hopefully it wont' be horribly crowded. We'd love beautiful beaches but also stuff to do: get massages, snorkle, go out to restaurant, possibly explore on motorbike... So I am starting to think that Ko Lanta might be better for that?

Please help:-)!

Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lanta vs. Lipe!

I have been to other islands apart form Koh Lipe + Lanta 3 or 4 times - there is lots to do on Lanta + we usually went there at peak season + the beaches are never crowded, but rooms are booked well in advance.

We liked to stay on a beach near Saladin - Cat(?Catfish) restaurant is lovely for lunch or dinner over the water - it is a book shop at the front.

Koh Rok is a really good snorkelling trip + there are Varans lizards lounging about on the island of Koh Rok (up to 1.5m)

you can rent motorbikes + visit other beaches/caves/waterfalls/elephant rides - I have not been to Lipe, but it is probably a lot quieter + less to do, also Lanta easiser + quicker to get to, although we will probably go there ourselves Jan 2011!!!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,006 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lanta vs. Lipe!

Lipe has beautiful beaches and the snorkling in the surrounding islands is wonderful, but it's small, you can walk around it in an hour or so... so although it ticks the massage and restaurant boxes, it's not somewhere you can hire motorbikes, it also gets very busy for such a small island, although by March will be quieter.

Lanta is a great island, with a lot more in the way of sightseeing, the roads are quiet, there are good transport options, nice mostly quiet beaches and a great variety of restaurants, plus markets and a bit of shopping too... depending on the length of time you are going for, you can also take trips to some of the other surrounding islands. It's easier to get to as well.

I think Lanta is the better option for you

cheers

Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lanta vs. Lipe!

Hi - have you been to koh Bulon + Taratua as well as Lipe?? - we are trying to decide what one to visit - we want a bungalow resort with ambience, a good swimming snorkelling island (or snorkelling trips) + hornbills - we would especially like to see the hornbills!!!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,006 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lanta vs. Lipe!

Yes Lisa, I've been to all three, basically Tarutao is the best for wildlife and being part of the Tarutao national park it is a very protected island and there are only a couple of park huts and a camping site on the island, so better for a short visit.

Bulon Lae is a nice relaxed island, fairly quiet, but it does have a loyal following and can get busy in peak season, but even then it's not like Lipe, it has a nice family feel to it and there are some nice bungalow resorts on the island.

As I said, Lipe has the natural beauty, but is getting quite developed, not a problem if it's your first visit, but for those who knew it in quieter times it's very noticable. Some great trips to the surrounding islands for snorkling and a good choice of restaurants

cheers

san francisco
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lanta vs. Lipe!

Thank you TA for helping decide!!

Lanta it is!!

Any particular accomodation recommendations? Looking for nothing fancy but clean & cute, quiet, affordable, within easy walk to cafes.

thanks again.

Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lanta vs. Lipe!

Cheers - just finished booking the flights for 3 weeks just after Christmas - I think we will go to Lipe (?Jack's Jungle) for about 5 days + take trips from there - Many Thansk

Lisa

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lanta vs. Lipe!

Hi Lisa, Just got back from both Koh LIpe and Koh Bulon. You want Hornbills go to Koh Bulon, on the beach by Pansand Resort is a huge tree full of berries, the Hornbills come several times everyday to eat, maybe 15-20 at a time. When on Koh LIpe, you want to snorkle, go to Sanom Beach, the snorkling off the rock is brillant. Good luck

Ranger Bob

Check out: http://rangerbobnorway.blogspot.com/

Soon both Koh LIpe and Koh Bulon will be there.

Malaysia
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Lanta vs. Lipe!

Hai All,

Sorry, i am new here. Just would love to ask, what's the differrent between Lanta and Lipe?

9. Re: Lanta vs. Lipe!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Ko Lipe