We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi to Koh Lipe, where to get Baht?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Langkawi to Koh Lipe, where to get Baht?

Hi

Am planning to make this journey over by boat and trying to work out the best way of obtaining Thai currency without having to stop at the mainland.

I heard rumor that in 2012 they were going to introduce an ATM to the island. Is this true?

If not, what would be my best method (if there is one) of obtaining Baht without having to pay a hefty cost in commission and poor exchange rates?

Thank you

Nice, France
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Langkawi to Koh Lipe, where to get Baht?

There is no ATM on Lipe this coming season!

Before leaving Langkawi you can get THB in exchange ofices in Kuah Town, Cenang and on the airport.

It´s possible to get get THB when you are on Lipe as well. There are some places along Walking Street that offer exhange service and cash on your credit card. You have to pay about 3-5 % extra for this service.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Langkawi to Koh Lipe, where to get Baht?

Hi

You can even get Thai baht at May Bank in Telaga harbour in Langkawi if you're taking that ferry boat to Koh Lipe, leaves at 9:30 and 14:30. It opens early, before boat leaves. That hefty 5 % is a lot of cold beer going to waste......

Ranger Bob Norway

And remember: Wherever you go, there you are............

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Langkawi to Koh Lipe, where to get Baht?

Thanks for your advice. Looks like I'll just have to grit my teeth and a bear the 5% commission charge. Think I will do what you suggested and get the cash in Langkawi before I board the ferry. Am planning to dive and will probably arrive around new years, possibly NYE. Is it wise to book ahead or can I rock up and take my chances?? I'm not fussed about accomodation as long as there is a bed.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Langkawi to Koh Lipe, where to get Baht?

The island is almost fully booked for Christmas and New Year but you will always find a place to stay. Normally there are cancellations.

I advise you to book the speedboat transfer from Langkawi to Lipe.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Langkawi to Koh Lipe, where to get Baht?

Thanks Lipee. I am looking to dive so might look at packages inc accommodation and see if it's possible to pay the extra and stay on a couple of extra nights over NYE. Once I get confirmation I will book ahead the txf to Lipe from Langkawi. I never thought to book this in advance so cheers for the heads up!

Nice, France
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Langkawi to Koh Lipe, where to get Baht?

Castaway Resort have packages with diving.

http://kohlipe.castaway-resorts.com/

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
160 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Langkawi to Koh Lipe, where to get Baht?

Hello,

On a day of sunday i'll find open Exchange Offices at Petronas Telaga Harbour, around 13:00h ? Or around 08:30h ?

I must exchange some money into baht, before boarding on speed boat toward Koh Lipe...somebody know the buy rate for EUR at Exchange Offices ?

Thx !

Nice, France
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Langkawi to Koh Lipe, where to get Baht?

The bank in Petronas is closed on Sundays but you have an ATM there that can give you THB on your card.

Otherwise there are exchange offices at the airport open daily. The airport is 10 min by taxi from the harbour .

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
160 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Langkawi to Koh Lipe, where to get Baht?

Thx @Lipee !

But an ATM in airport that can give me THB from my debit card ?

I'll arrive late in airport, 20:25h, there are exchange offices at the airport open around 21:00h ?

I don't have time on sunday to go again at the airport.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Langkawi to Koh Lipe, where to get Baht?

You can´t get THB from the ATM:s at the airport and I don´t know the opening hours of the exchange office.

Maybank on the airport is closed on Sundays as well.

Where are you staying on Langkawi? Cenang?

If you are staying south of the airport you must pass it when going to Telaga Harbour on Sunday. Why not turn in there and see if the exchange office is open. Otherwise, why not take THB from the ATM in the harbour at Petronas?