We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hat Yai or Pak Barra !

jersey channel...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hat Yai or Pak Barra !

Hi all,

Looking (again) at Lipe and want to confirm a few queries ?

We want to travel Late March, what season is this !! Will all boats be sailing ?

Is it best to stay a night in Hat Yai or Pak Barra ? As we have a 7yr old with us I want to break up the journey. Is 7 nights ok in Lipe with a child !!! Are there things to do or is 7 nights to long ??

After Lipe we are looking at a other island for 2weeks any suggestions please, so far K Lanta looking good ? Or should we stop of at a middle island for 3 nights on route to K Lanta ???

Thanks

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,209 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hat Yai or Pak Barra !

Hi,

Late March is getting towards the end of high season on the island, still busy though and plenty of ferries will be running from Pak Barra and also from Trang with Tigerline. Nok Air do a rather neat combo ticket with flights to Trang and then ferry to Lipe and Trang is quite a nice town with some great food.

There are only a few places to stay in Pak Barra and it's small, Hat Yai has a much bigger range of hotels and guest houses, a lot of food and shopping and it would be my choice over PB.

Lipe is small and there isn't a lot to do except beach time or trips to nearby islands, a week may be too long but it is a very pretty place so hard to advise. If you do head up to Lanta you could maybe stop off at Ko Bulon-lae which is very family orientated place and another quiet and pretty island for a couple of days to get a contrast and if boredom set in on Lipe. As with everywhere in Thailand, it's very easy to change your plans at the last minute when you're on the ground.

Cheers

jersey channel...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hat Yai or Pak Barra !

Hi paulo,

How long is the boat from Trang to Lipe !

And what are the departure times ???

Thanks

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,209 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hat Yai or Pak Barra !

Hi,

It's about 2.5 hours and in many ways I prefer the Tigerline boat to the speedboats a bit calmer and you often pass Ko Liaolin which is cute. I think the departure time is something like 12.30, the boat comes down from Lanta etc. but you'd need to check on their website when it's updated for next season.

Also note that the Nok combo ticket sometimes bus pax to Pak Barra for the boats their, I'm not up to date on that.

Cheers

jersey channel...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hat Yai or Pak Barra !

So where do you pick up the boat to Lipe from Trang ?

Is this a better way than from the Hat Yai route !

Thanks

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,209 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hat Yai or Pak Barra !

Hi,

You get the boat at Hat Yao pier on the Trang coast. From Trang airport It's closer than to Pak Barra. Easy to arrange transfers to the pier from either the airport or the town if you are going to diy. Overnight train is also an option to Trang.

Cheers

Nice, France
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hat Yai or Pak Barra !

All traffic in Andaman Sea is running until high season ends and this is the end of April.

AirAsia has a package incl flight, minivan and boat to Lipe via Hat Yai from Bangkok Don Mueang Airport.

http://www.airasia.com/my/en/home.page

jersey channel...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hat Yai or Pak Barra !

Thanks for the info,

As we will be arr in BKK and departing as soon as we can I think we will spend 1night in Hat Yai or Trang as its a long trip for our 7yr old and the inlaws who are late 60s. So with this in mind which would be the best place to fly to and stay for the night before our journey onto Lipe !!

Thanks

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,209 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hat Yai or Pak Barra !

Hi,

Both have plenty of accomodation, Trang is a bit smaller and I prefer it to be honest. You could stay somewhere on the coast like the Anantara resort or somewhere in the centre where you could sample some of Trangs unique food - austinbushphotography.com/blog/breakfast-in-…

Nothing wrong with Hat Yai, just busier, hotter and bigger, so if the flights work better just as good.

Cheers

jersey channel...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hat Yai or Pak Barra !

Hi,

What is the boat departure point called if we go via Trang ! And how far from Trang centre ?

Thanks

Nice, France
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hat Yai or Pak Barra !

If you go via Trang you can take the boat from Hat Yao or Pak Barra.

From Trang centre it´s 1 hour drive to Hat Yao where Tigerline´s ferry depart and 2 hours drive to Pak Barra where the boats to Lipe depart.