We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Lipe in late September - Off season & Diving

Which Ko Lipe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ko Lipe in late September - Off season & Diving

Hi everyone

We're considering taking 4/5 days in Ko Lipe (coming up from KL) in late Sept - for relax & dive (both are certified divers).

* It's low season so that has an appeal. However, from reading this forum, it seems as though weather could be questionable (tail end of monsoon rains). Is that right?

* What is diving like at that time of year?

* And any ideas on travelling options (it seems the direct ferry from Langkawi doesn't operate until October).

Thanks in advance for any advices. Much appreciated.

Mick

Lidkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko Lipe in late September - Off season & Diving

Hi MickCal,

1) The end of the southwestern monsoon is in the middle/end of October.

2) Water is more crystal clear in low season.

3) As you say it´s not possible to go direct from Langkawi until Oct 20th. The only way to get to Lipe in low season is from Pak Bara pier in Satun province. The daily speedboat transfer dep 11.30 and arr Lipe 13.00.

Take a flight to Hat Yai Airport. AirAsia have two daily flights. However you must stay 1 night in Hat Yai or Pak Bara as flights are too late for the speedboat transfer.

http://www.airasia.com/ot/en/home.page

It takes almost two hours from the airport to Pak Bara

Hong Kong, China
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko Lipe in late September - Off season & Diving

Hello, Lipee. How about Middle of September, have the boat from Lipe to Langkawi.

If not? Do you have any suggestion from Lipe to Malaysia Penang?

Lidkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko Lipe in late September - Off season & Diving

Sorry, no direct transfer until Oct 20th.

Take the speedboat to Pak Bara, taxi/minibus to Hat Yai Town, train to Butterworth. You have the ferry over to Penang close to Butterworth train station.

Lidkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ko Lipe in late September - Off season & Diving

mei,

Another option:

Speedboat from Lipe 09.30 arr Pak Bara 11.00. Taxi 1 hour to Tammalang Pier in Satun. From Tammalang ferry 14.30 to Kuah Jetty on Langkawi (arr 16.45 malay time). Ferry from Kuah Jetty 17.15 to Penang with arr 20.00.

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ko Lipe in late September - Off season & Diving

Lipee,

You are supposed to tell people seas are murky and rough.

Scare them off and keep the beaches empty for us low season travellers to enjoy.

Lidkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ko Lipe in late September - Off season & Diving

KhongChiam,

:-)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ko Lipe in late September - Off season & Diving

Hi Lipee,

May I know you said the end of the southwestern monsoon is in the middle/end of October meaning it will be having more shower or lesser shower?

Actually planned to go from 18 Oct to 26 Oct but kind of concern about the weather during this period which will stop me from snorkeling & island hopping so thought of changing my visit to 20 Dec to 28 Dec.

Your advise please...

Lidkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ko Lipe in late September - Off season & Diving

Hi again Lance,

Normally less rain showers and better weather in the end of October.

You will absolutely have better weather in Dec but you must book your accommodation a.s.a.p. as the dates you mention are fully booked ver early.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ko Lipe in late September - Off season & Diving

Hi Lipee, please advise why I have problem booking on your website one mini bus ticket from Cathay guest house on 21 Dec 14 at 9am to Pakbara pier & boat ticket from Pakbara pier at 1130am to Ko Lipe? Also may I know what is the earlier mini bus from Pakbara pier to arrive Hat Yai Airport on 28 Dec 14 as my flight will depart at 240pm?

Thank you

Lidkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ko Lipe in late September - Off season & Diving

I don´t know why you have problem with the booking? There is nothing wrong with the website.

You have all details reg the transports here and the earliest minibus transfer to the airport from Pak Bara is 11:30. Maybe it´s better and quicker for you to take a taxi.

http://thaibeachtravellers.com/transport