We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed on travel to & from Koh Lipe

London
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice needed on travel to & from Koh Lipe

Hi

We're planning our next trip to Thailand and I was hoping to get some advice on travelling. We would like to go from Koh Lanta to Lipe, I understand this is quite easy, however, Koh Lipe would be our last stop before flying back to the UK so which airport would be best out of Krabi and Phuket and how long would it take to reach the aiport?

Thanks!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,637 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed on travel to & from Koh Lipe

Hi,

To be honest you would be better flying back to Bangkok from Hat Yai or Trang, but if it's a choice between Phuket and Krabi then Krabi would be there better choice. Timings depend on when you are going as not all ferries run all year.

Cheers

London
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed on travel to & from Koh Lipe

Thanks. We'll be flying with Thai airways and they appear to fly out of Hat Yai but how long and how do we get there from Koh Lipe?

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,637 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed on travel to & from Koh Lipe

Hi,

Well, getting to Hat Yai will be the quickest route. Take a speedboat to Pak Barra which is about an hour and then take a minivan or taxi to Hat Yai airport in round 2 hours. Any travel shop on Lipe can sell you a transfer, but you won't get to the airport before about 12.30 at the earliest as the first boat is around 9am.

Cheers

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed on travel to & from Koh Lipe

My flight arrives to Hat Yai at 9:35am. I've been reviewing this website:

thaibeachtravellers.com/transport/hat-yai

And wondering if it makes sense to purchase my tickets now rather then wait to I arrive to the airport November 22. I depart Koh Lipe on November 27th.

I also know that they add more boats in high season.

Objective is to get to Koh Lipe as fast and efficient as possible, So welcome anyone suggestions.

My guess is splurge and take a private taxi and just wait for the 13:30 boat.

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed on travel to & from Koh Lipe

Easy to book tickets on arrival but a flight/ boat combo would be best.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed on travel to & from Koh Lipe

What about during high season: November 22? Could the boats and taxis be fully booked?

Nice, France
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed on travel to & from Koh Lipe

No, not until Dec.

Munich, Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed on travel to & from Koh Lipe

Hi Lipee and Stuart,

I nearly had the same question today. I will go from Bangkok to Koh Lipe on November 23th 2014 and don't want to waste time. Are there options to book a combo-ticket with thaibeachtravellers?

So far, I only found package deals with Airasia (including flight) or Tigerlines but this would mean to leave BKK at 06:00 am. Do you know at which times the direct speedboats will leave from Pak Bara?

A further challenge will be my departure from Koh Lipe on Friday 28th November 2014. My flight back home leaves from BKK Airport early Saturday at 0:30am. Do I need to leave Lipe around 09:00 am on Friday as usual with AirAsia or Tigerlines or are there later options? I want to avoid wasting time hanging around at the airports but I'm not sure if it's better to have a time buffer.

Last question: is it possible to book online in advance on thaibeachtravellers, the website does not work at the moment.

Thanks for your help! Annika

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,637 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed on travel to & from Koh Lipe

Hi,

Just want to comment on your arrival journey. Nok Air also offer a combined ticket to Lipe and their flight leaves DMK at 07:20 and connects to the Tigerlne boat at Trang, arriving Ko Lipe at 15:00. The cheap fare for your date is around 1600B and that includes 15kg luggage.

I will let others comment on your return.

Cheers

Edited: 29 August 2014, 14:50
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed on travel to & from Koh Lipe

Thanks for your kind response. I'm actually flying from Chiang Mai. And Air Asia fly's to Hat Yai. Air Asia doesn't include the ground and boat transfer.. BUT they do going to and from Bangkok.

So now I have to decide whether to book my van and boat to Koh Lipe ahead of time, or arrive at the airport and go to the travel agent and book at that time. My hotel in Koh Lipe suggested that I do it that way. November is not as busy as December so I should have no trouble booking at the airport. I hope she is right.

But going from Koh Lipe to Bangkok, I have reserved flight, boat and van in one package.