We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for another similar island to Koh Lipe?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
127 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendation for another similar island to Koh Lipe?

Hi all, my boyfriend and I travel to Asia for 17 nights in January 2015. We fly into and out of Bangkok. We want to go to Siem Reap/ Angkor Wat for 3-4 nights and spend our last 3 nights in Bangkok. That leaves us with 10 nights for beaches/ islands. I have been to Koh Lipe before and we want to return here for 5 nights. The other island I loved was Koh Tao, but with travel between the 2, we would lose a full day. Could anyone recommend another island where we could spend 4-5 nights with similar laid back vibe to Lipe- beautiful white sand beaches, good snorkelling/ diving, boat trips, mats laid our on the beach for drinks in the evening...? That would be easier to get to than crossing over to Koh Tao? We don't want a crazy party scene. Thanks a mill...

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation for another similar island to Koh Lipe?

hi my wife and i are going to koh lipe,koh ngai,and koh muk (mook) in march i would suggest you chec kout koh mook

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
67 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation for another similar island to Koh Lipe?

Hi Haylee - I was just wondering which island you settled on after?

Hi Gracy - where are you staying when on ngai and mook?

It's just I am looking for our 4th stop having done lanta, lipe, bulon and jum... can't decided on mook, libong, ngai, kradan and its stressing me out now. I just want somewhere to snorkel from the beach like you can on lipe and has at least one or two shops to buy snacks and alcohol from (unlike bulon/jum).

Thanks

Dublin, Ireland
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation for another similar island to Koh Lipe?

We still havn't actually settled on an island :( We are thinking about either Koh Ngai or Koh Kradan. Have you been to Koh Bulon Lae before? I see you mentioned it. Would you recommend it? Anybody have any further experiences or advice?

Nice, France
Level Contributor
2,856 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendation for another similar island to Koh Lipe?

Bulon is a very quiet and small island with a couple of resorts and some backpacker accommodations. There are a couple of small beaches.

Italy
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendation for another similar island to Koh Lipe?

Hi,

If you are goring to Siem Reap in Cambodia, I would propose you to go to the islands of Koh Chang, specially Koh Kood. It's just beautiful. We stayed at Tinkerbell resort, highly recommended.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendation for another similar island to Koh Lipe?

hi Haylee,

have you settled on a destination yet after koh lipe ? my boyfriend and I are doing a similar trip to you and are also stuck on islands to go.

so far we have booked, bangkok, chaing mai ( for new year) , hong kong, kuala lumpar, krabi , we are then thinking of booking koh phi phi , koh lanta then to koh lipe, however after reading reviews on koh lipe it sounds like the island is getting ruined my tourist so now going off the idea of koh lipe. how long ago did you go and would you recommend it ? we was thinking of going 4 days to finish our holiday ? please advise if possible

thanks

hayley

Sandakan, Malaysia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendation for another similar island to Koh Lipe?

Can I throw in a question about accommodation on Koh Lipe? We are coming there in Nov and wondering if there is backpacker cheap accommodation or homestays that aren't advertised. Quite often you go to places and there is plenty of local homestays that are cheaper than all the ones they have on the internet. I did see there is one hostel and a place you can camp. Any other low budget places around? and the rough prices? Thanks for any info :)

Jac

Nice, France
Level Contributor
2,856 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendation for another similar island to Koh Lipe?

Hi BasBC,

Here you have Moonlight Resort on Pattaya Beach: thaibeachtravellers.com/hotels/koh-lipe/moon…

Another one close to Moonlight is Cafe Lipe. Simple bungalows owner by a nice couple. You find them on Facebook. You can ask them there if that ara available.

Varin Village is a typical backpacker accommodation in the end of Walking Street at Sunrise Beach. There you have many bungalows for about 1000 THB. No contact info. Just walkin.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
127 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendation for another similar island to Koh Lipe?

I certainly wouldn't say Koh Lipe is ruined by tourists. If you are considering Koh Phi Phi and Koh Lanta, based on my experience, I way preferred Koh Lipe. Yes, it might be busy, but there are still no cars, and I found no difficulty in finding a quiet part of beach on all beaches other than Pattaya. There's a lovely vibe in the evenings as well and you can do really nice boat trips. We are between Koh Kradan and Koh Ngai, swaying towards Koh kradan still however we are also considering just extending our time on Lipe and stopping off at Khao Sok on route. Better make a decision soon :)

london
Level Contributor
384 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendation for another similar island to Koh Lipe?

How about Koh Kood, koh Chang, Koh Mak? On tghe way back from Siam Reap too?

Get answers to your questions about Ko Lipe