We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nakuru to Narok to Nairobi

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
16 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Nakuru to Narok to Nairobi

Have you driven from Nairobi to Nakuru and then on to Narok and back to Nairobi? What is the drive like?

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nakuru to Narok to Nairobi

Nairobi Nakuru takes about 3 hours (2.5 to 4, depending on speed and traffic). It's best to take the escarpment road, which is currently mostly in good condition. Down in the Rift Valley the main road is good right through to Nakuru, passing Lake Naivasha, through Naivasha town, past Gilgil and Lake Elmenteita and into Nakuru. Hitting Nakuru at rush hour can slow things right down. Nakuru to Narok entails returning half way to Nairobi and turning right (southwest) at a junction town called Mai Mahiu.Then you have a mix of good surface, resurfacing works (finished yet, anyone know?) and horrible patches of rock surface to Narok (about 1.5 hrs).

Have a good trip.

Richard

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nakuru to Narok to Nairobi

Long. Nairobi-Naivasha takes between 1hr 30min and 2hrs depending on traffic. From Naivasha to Nakuru it's approximately another 1hr 30min. To get to Narok from Nakuru you'd need to come back down the way you went and turn right at Maai Mahiu. The drive from Nakuru to Narok would probably take you around 4 hours or so, maybe more. It's a hot, dusty and pretty boring drive, apart from the stretch from Nairobi to Maai Mahiu which takes you down the Escarpment - 9km or thereabouts of amazing views across the Great Rift Valley. But given that it's also one of the most dangerous roads in Kenya, driving experience here would be essential before undertaking the trip.

FL410

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
16 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nakuru to Narok to Nairobi

Thank you for your advice. I would be staying overnight in Nakuru and also plan to stay overnight in Narok before returning to Nairobi. I will be hiring a driver. I was wondering if it would be best to return to Nairobi from Nakuru and then the next day leave Nairobi and go to Narok. It sounds like that is not necessary.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
16 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nakuru to Narok to Nairobi

Thanks for your comments. Uh, in what way is the road dangerous going from Nakuru to Narok? Cliff?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nakuru to Narok to Nairobi

Kenyan roads are dangerous full stop due to the fact that 99% of Kenyans are appalling drivers who have never passed a legitimate test but, that aside, the stretch from Nairobi to Maai Mahiu is one of the most dangerous in the country because it descends the side of the Escarpment and is always full of very large trucks and lorries which crawl up and down it at a snail's pace. Frustrated drivers who don't understand the meaning of the word "anticipation" overtake the lorries at the most inopportune moments and often cause head-on collisions. Coupled with the fact that there is no safety barrier, vehicles often end up going off the side and tumbling down the escarpment face. If you are hiring a driver he/she will be well aware of these perils and will, I am sure, drive very carefully. My caveat regarding road safety here was if you were intending to do the drive yourself with no road experience here, which I wouldn't recommend.

I drive the Nairobi-Nakuru road a couple of times a week on average so if you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to ask.

Safari njema!

FL410

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nakuru to Narok to Nairobi

With all due respect to FL410's knowledge and experience (and sensible words of caution), I really don't think the Nairobi-Mai Mahiu road is alarmingly dangerous. In many places the traffic is moving pretty slowly and if you have a good driver and vehicle from a reputable company, you should have nothing to worry about. I've certainly felt much more "in danger" on many roads in Europe – I'm thinking particularly of some of the roads between Alicante and Denia in Spain, and south of Naples in Italy.

But all the same, drive (or rather be driven) carefully!

Richard

7. Re: Nakuru to Narok to Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Narok
Recent Conversations