We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for short route from Quebec city to Blanc-Sablon (Q

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Looking for short route from Quebec city to Blanc-Sablon (Q

Hi there, Does anyone know the drive route from Toronfto--Quebec city (follow highway 138) --Blanc-Sablon (QC)? the route along the beach at Quebac side

I google the route, It looks like you have to drive along highway 308 up North and at Labrador side, then down south to Blanc-Sablon (QC).

I hope to find short cut route ? Anyone can help me

Many thanks

Mia

4 replies to this topic
Quebec City
Level Contributor
618 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for short route from Quebec city to Blanc-Sablon (Q

Blanc Sablon is not an easily accesible location by car. Your only two options are the 138 and Labrador route you found, or going through New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, ferry to Newfoundland, then ferry to Blanc Sablon. (http://goo.gl/maps/4Iki7)

The Quebec road 138 stops in Natashquan, about 400km before Blanc Sablon.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,988 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for short route from Quebec city to Blanc-Sablon (Q

Although I haven't made the trip myself, my understanding is that from Natasquan you can take a boat to Blac-Sablon, but it sails very infrequently and takes several days. It's a supply barge that services the isolated communities along the north shore but it also takes passengers.

Based on your duplicate post in the NL forum, it seems as though maybe your ultimate destination is Newfoundland (the actual island as opposed to Labrador). If this is the case, you're better off driving to Nova Scotia and taking the ferry from Sydney to either Port aux Basques or Placentia. In fact even if Blanc-Sablon is your ultimate destination you could get there as Barbanellie describes, by taking that Sydney-Port aux Basques ferry, then driving up to St. Barbe to Blanc-Sablon.

Rimouski (Québec)
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for short route from Quebec city to Blanc-Sablon (Q

The Relais Nordik operates a mixed passenger/cargo ship between Rimouski and most isolated ports on the North Shore. Since this year the service is provided by a brand new ship:

http://www.relaisnordik.com/en/home/24.aspx

The ship leaves Natashquan every wednesday at 3 h 45 pm and arrives at Blanc-Sablon on friday at 6 am. You can have your car loaded onboard at Natashquan which lies at the end of Highway 138. From Blanc-Sablon there is another ferry crossing to the island of Newfoundland. It is a fairly short ride:

…gov.nl.ca/ferryservices/…j_pollo.html

Robert

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for short route from Quebec city to Blanc-Sablon (Q

We travelled to Newfoundland via the ferry from Natashquan, QC to Blanc-Sablon, QC, last month. It was a wonderful trip. We booked a cabin for the two nights that we were on board and also purchased the meal plan. The food in the dining room was excellent with large portions. The food at the cafeteria (if you did not purchase the meal plan) was not anywhere near the quality of the dining room/meal plan. At the various destinations where the ferry stopped there were tours of the towns/villages. You should purchase them in advance when you book your trip. The whole voyage was so interesting. We drove to Natashquan from Toronto and that in itself, is a beautiful drive.

From Blanc-Sablon we wanted to go to Red Bay, NL., but could not get there as we had to turn back. The roads in Labrador are among the worst I have ever driven on. You risk damage to your vehicle unless you are driving a truck of some sort and I do not mean a standard SUV. I think that in Labrador, when planning where a road is going to, they dig some potholes and then pave the spaces in between them! The wonderful people in Labrador deserve better. Most of the roads we drove on in Newfoundland were much, much better than those in Labrador.

Everywhere we went, we found that the people of Newfoundland and Labrador, without exception, are kind, helpful and willing to engage with travellers like us.

Shirley and Robert.

Reply to: Looking for short route from Quebec city to Blanc-Sablon (Q
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Blanc-Sablon