We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tobago Baggage Handlers

Stroud
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Tobago Baggage Handlers

Hi All,

I just wanted to forewarn any future travellers to Tobago that some of the baggage handlers in the airport are THIEVES. I have just returned home from Tobago and to my horror when I got home I discovered that they had forced the lock on my suitcase and stolen numerous items from within it. A very disappointing end to my holiday and a country that I will NEVER return to because of it. SO WELL DONE TOBAGO PEOPLE - A BIG DENT MADE IN THE COUNTRIES REPUTATION

14 replies to this topic
Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tobago Baggage Handlers

Sorry to hear of your experience but are you certain it happened in Tobago? I arrived in Grenada from Gatwick with the lock missing from my suitcase and contents spilling out but fortunately nothing missing. Had you enjoyed your holiday prior to this unfortunate incident?

Stroud
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tobago Baggage Handlers

the holiday was ok prior to this incident although the island is very expensive for an apparent third world country and the masses of sand flies. i have travelled through Gatwick numerous times and have never had this happen before so my guessing is that it was done in Tobago especially as my baggage came off of the carousel in Gatwick relatively quickly and one of the check in girls in Tobago added one of the items to my case for me so she certainly knew it was in there.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,393 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tobago Baggage Handlers

Substitute any country for Tobago and you'll want to stay home! This can happen anywhere, and should not put off someone from enjoying the island. I've made four trips there, carrying expensive scuba gear, without a problem

Chesham, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tobago Baggage Handlers

With the new security policies in place now since 911

most of the larger airlines have the right to open any bag if there is a suspicious object showing when the bags are xrayed, not making exscuses for the baggage handlers as they do have a reputation world-wide but it could have been anyone taking from the bag once the lock has been forced open. I dont bother putting a lock on my bag anymore and carry any valuables in my hand luggage, take advise from retired airline security staff

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
788 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tobago Baggage Handlers

I've had stuff ripped off in numerous countries (europe included) out of locked bags. I stopped locking them as (PP explained) security has the right to break them off anyways. Since I stopped locking them, I've only had a pair of flip flops taken. Go figure. I hoped the person needed them more than me anyways. Can't blame the whole country for a few bad apples. Sorry for your loss, but badmouthing the whole country is not appropriate.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tobago Baggage Handlers

Nowadays a locked suitcase only draws more attention to it. We use plastic cable ties and tape a spare one to the suitcase handle as a convenience for the TSA inspectors.

Stockholm, Sweden
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tobago Baggage Handlers

That could happen anywhere. I had stuff stolen out of my luggage in Canada.

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
3 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tobago Baggage Handlers

I am a seasoned traveller and I agree with azbuceadora & chongalonga, this can happen anywhere and even in your own backyard. I am looking forward to visiting Tobago this year!

@ azbuceadora: I went to Ecuador a few years back and absolutely fell in love with your country and can't wait to get back! I stayed in Quito, Sani Lodge in Rio Napo and drove from Quito to Muisne, Sua and Esmeraldes and back up to Quito on the Norther route. We kept getting warned about the locals and safety, but I have to say, we had the best experience of our life and the locals are some of the friendliest people on this planet!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,393 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tobago Baggage Handlers

Glad you enjoyed Ecuador so much, Aegisprncs. However, I can't really claim it as "my" country; I'm an ex-pat working here.

Taunton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Tobago Baggage Handlers

I suppose my wife and I were lucky on our holiday in Tobago. Two men carrying cutlasses severed my nose from my face, drove the cutlas into my brain, severed my left eye leaving me blind. While I was unconscious they then attacked my wife slicing her face off, penitrating her mouth so hard her jaw was dislocated. This happened while we dozed in our sun loungers. Me, I would love to visit Tobago again but sadly I was left with brain damage which has effected my walking ability.Give me Canada any time and for those who say it happens anywhere, not what happened to my wife and I it does not.

Reply to: Tobago Baggage Handlers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Crown Point
Recent Conversations
More Crown Point Topics