We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with planning my trip

Which Crown Point hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help with planning my trip

Hi all, I have my ticket to T&T and now am looking at accomodations. I hope some of you can answer a few questions for me, keeping in mind that I want to spend the bulk of my 10 night vacation on Tobago:

1. I arrive from Houston to POS at 8 p.m. I really would like to avoid getting a hotel in POS, going back to the airport the next day. Instead, I would rather fly over to Tobago right after my international flight arrives. Has anyone done this? I see there is a flight later in the evening. Pros, cons, any comments?

2. I would like to split up my time at two different locations on Tobago - Crown Point area and Castara. Any comments on those locations?

3. I decided that I want to stay in Castara after Crown Point. What is the best way to get back to Tobago airport to fly back to POS? Cost and time?

4. Since I have an early morning return departure from POS, I want to fly back there the day before and spend my last day and night there exploring. Any recommendations for a place to stay that I can get around walking and see some things. Would like it to be very convenient transfer to the airport.

Thanks!

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with planning my trip

This requires detail planning but I would recommend check the cost of everything before you leave and setting a budget. As you will be staying in 3 hours at different times.

Also when are you looking to travel? If its around feb carnival time good luck with hotel but you may find some good one in tobago. I stayed at the coco reef which is a bit expensive for a few day then flew back to pos for carnival.

You would need a list of all the hotels, reviews, and prices firstly. Then consider tourist attraction while in both places in tobago plus pos before you leave bck to Houston.

start here

http://gotrinidadandtobago.com/

It give you a list of hotel and things to do in both trinidad and tobago.

Hope that help you can like my fanpage in return and share your experience at https:/…

as well as ask me anything there

trinidad
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with planning my trip

Hi, you can check out Caribbean Airlines flight bookings and there are late flight until 10:00 pm. So if you can get through immigration and customs early you will not have to wait but go immediately to the Tobago Terminal which is just a short walk and check in. Bearing in mind that you would have emailed or contacted the hotel in Crown Point for someone to either pick you up at the airport or take a taxi which is not too expensive. There is Rainbow Holiday Resort and Douglas Holiday apartments or is you can afford it Coco Reef (pretty expensive). If you are coming for Carnival flights to Tobago are always fully booked so you should book online early and arrive on time to guarantee a flight.

I would recommend you get in touch with your hotels before so they will expect your late evening arrival.

Crown Point is the airport area and Taxis are usually about US10 local fare for hire and voila you are in the airport and with your confirmed ticket and you are back in Trinidad. Once you arrive and check in early there is no hassle on both sides.

Lastly, you can stay at the Capital Plaza (Crown Plaza) hotel, Hyatt Regency, Trinidad Hilton, Kapok Hotel and they can help you plan a night out. When it is time to leave all hotels have taxis to take you safely to the airport. Once again leave early since you may get traffic jams depending on the hour of your return flight. Above all be careful with your surroundings, and enjoy yourself and happy travels.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with planning my trip

Question- How long would it take to get through customs?

We arrive at 6am and depart for a 8;10am flight to tobago. Should that be enough time?

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with planning my trip

If you need a hotel for the night in Trinidad that is near the airport the Regent Star has just opened it's door and it's right at the airport. We've just stayed there and had a wonderful time. The rooms are light and airy, very modern. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the food in the restaurant is great. It's worth trying out before they get too busy.

You can see the airport from the hotel; it's in walking distance but they have a shuttle service if you have luggage or prefer to be taken to the airport.

They're still doing some work to the upper floor but that didn't affect our stay at all. Actually I'm looking to go back for an event they have on valentine's night.

I hope that helps.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,331 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with planning my trip

I like this website for all things Tobago

http://www.mytobago.info/

Lots of good information.

When I was arranging flights, my hotel recommended more than 3 hours to connect to Tobago, but I found that was lots of time - if your flight arrives on time. Customs is a little slow, so you want to hustle off the plane, across the tarmac and into the building as fast as you can. Then there is the luggage thing. I did carry on only, which saves some more time. Be sure that you confirm your Tobago flight immediately you are through as they are often cancelled, and then you need to get moved to another flight. I didn't take the night flight, but several did. If you do this, then try to arrange with your hotel for a pick up from the airport. Ensure you give them the flight number as well as the arrival time so they can check for any delays.

Arriving back to Trinidad the day before is a good plan.

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with planning my trip

Thanks to all...I am not leaving until 6/1, so don't have to worry about Carnival crowds. Just planning early! I ended up booking the last flight over to Tobago, so hopefully that is enough time to get through customs, get luggage and over to departure for inter-island flight.

I am leaning toward Native Abode for a few night stay in Crown Point area, then on to Alibaba's in Castara. Seems they both have decent comments from lots of travelers. I like to walk all over, so not being right on the beach isn't a problem. Makes for more time to explore!

I will check out the hotels mentioned near POS for an early morning departure.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,527 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with planning my trip

You don't want a hotel near POS (Port Of Spain, the city). You want a hotel near the airport - unfortunately the airport carries the designation of POS. So be very clear when choosing the hotel that you choose one that is near the airport. Although there isn't much choice as far as I know. You have the recently opened Regent Star and the Holiday Inn Express.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
777 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with planning my trip

Airport Suites approx $99 per night-Holiday Inn Express ($145) and Piarco Village Suites ($134). All within 2-3 km of airport. I am not familiar with Regent Star but will definitely check it out! (Hotel.com) Good luck!

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with planning my trip

AhHah, ah ha, thanks...didn't realize about location of hotel in POS vs. airport area. So, if I want to explore a part of POS, but stay at a hotel near the airport, what is the deal with that? Just a short taxi ride away?

I will look at airport hotels soon. One can always stay at a Holiday Inn here in America. LOL, but hey, I can at least get points! The Regent Star looks great, but their website is currently under construction. Still have lots of time.

Thanks folks and happy travels!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,527 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with planning my trip

While the distance from the airport to the city is only about 15 miles it could take over an hour to get from one to the other if you hit the traffic - which is just about most times of the day.

Get answers to your questions about Crown Point
Recent Conversations
More Crown Point Topics