We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food in Crown Point

Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Food in Crown Point

Hi All,

We're going to be staying at Johnston apartments in a few weeks. We were thinking of cooking breakfast in our kitchen and eating dinner out. We'd like to try some traditional food such as roti and go to restaurants that are favourites. I've looked at other responses on the forum and would like to know if people have any other favourites. Is breakfast a good meal to eat in or is there a tradional carribean breakfast.

Also, how expensive is alcohol in Tobago? Would we be better off purchasing rum in Toronto at duty free or waiting until we reach Tobago.

Thanks for your help!

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food in Crown Point

What type of alcohol you intend to buy or bring in?

You can buy the bottles of alcohol at the grocery store in Tobago. If you buy at Airport its limited to 2 bottles per person.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,753 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Food in Crown Point

There are several food vendors right across the road from Johnstons among the souvenir huts. And right as you exit the airport there is a restaurant (walkable from Johnstons) that serves local food.

In addition to roti, there's doubles and of course shark and bake.

Tobago
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Food in Crown Point

Most local food vendors would sell lunch rather than dinner (we tend to eat our heaviest meal in the middle of the day here!)

So the vendors at Store Bay would be a good place to get local style lunch. Also Tobago Curry House (opposite Coco Cafe on Pigeon Point road) does good roti

You would also get local style breakfast at Store Bay or a nice place to have a relatively inexpensive sit-down breakfast is Kariwak village.

I would also recommend Kariwak for dinner - they serve a set menu each night but it always based on creole type food and made with very fresh ingredients.

Rum is about 70 - 100TT a bottle, depending on brand etc, at a supermarket such as Pennysavers

UK
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food in Crown Point

For great value local Tobago cuisine, I suggest checking out the lunch huts at Store Bay. They all offer delicious traditional dishes - roti, curry and dumplings, shark and bake. There are also a couple of bars there where you can wash down your lunch with the local beer - Carib and Stag. Eating there has the atmosphere of a picnic with views of the Caribbean.

I also recommend the Kariwak restaurant at the hotel of the same name for excellent local cuisine. The breakfasts there are legendary - popular with locals as well as tourists. Their dinners are also excellent with a 4 course menu of traditional Trinibago dishes, made from ingredients sourced from the hotel's own herb and vegetable garden.

Enjoy!

London, England
Level Contributor
414 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food in Crown Point

I won't be eating anywhere where they serve shark, they are an endangered species and we're wiping them out. I prefer to see sharks swimming around in the sea (preferaby when I am diving and can see them!). Looking forward to sampling other delicacies though :)

UK
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food in Crown Point

Shark&Bake is a traditional TriniBago snack - a sandwich of a pan baked roll and fried shark steak with spicy toppings and salad.

In the Caribbean, fished shark is definitely not an endangered species, so can be eaten without worry or guilt.

Enjoy!

London, England
Level Contributor
414 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food in Crown Point

I would rather chop off my own arm than eat shark. We have wiped out 97% of shark numbers worldwide, it's only a matter of time before there are non left in Tobago either, which would have disasterous effects on the eco system and be a great shame for a great source of tourism - diving. Sorry, but shark is something I will never eat and nor will I dine anywhere that serves it. The problem is a lot bigger than people realise :(. I spend a lot of time working for shark conservation, and am very very sad to hear that it is such a popular and readily available dish. But thanks for the heads up as I will be careful where I choose to eat and will know what to look out for. Plenty of other tasty things I can tuck into I'm sure :)

Edited: 22 February 2013, 20:44
Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food in Crown Point

This is my personal thought, I don't have the facts to back it up though. But you may hear other people express the same thought.

I think some places that claim to be selling shark are actually using catfish. So for those who are eatting the shark it's something to wonder.

Having said that. I do enjoy a bake and shark from Maracas Beach once a year or so.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,753 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Food in Crown Point

The amount of shark consumed by Tobago or even Trinidad is a mere drop in the bucket. It's the nation that harvests the fin only, leaving the rest of the fish to die, that is decimating the population. And Poison is probably right - most of the fish that is sold in the Shark and Bake is some other fish. With all the condiments we add to it you just cannot tell what kind of fish it is.

Edited: 22 February 2013, 22:56
London, England
Level Contributor
414 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food in Crown Point

If it is catfish, that may be sustainable, if it is catshark (a small species of shark also sometimes known as dogfish) it is still a shark species. Completely agree, shark finning is the major problem, but I canot condone any consumption of shark meat and will be steering clear of any fish to be sure. It is hard when you spend so much time protecting them and watching them underwater to then eat one, hopefully people will understand that. I don't expect everyone to do the same, I just want any shark I come into contact with to be alive and kicking ... or swimming to be more precise :)

Get answers to your questions about Crown Point
Recent Conversations
More Crown Point Topics