We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If I had to pick two places to stay- which ones?

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
33 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
If I had to pick two places to stay- which ones?

Hi-

My family (2 pre-teens) and I are traveling to Croatia for the first time next summer. I'm researching where the 'not to miss' places are. We will be coming from Venice to possibly Bari- and taking a ferry over. Would like to see Dubrovnic but not sure other than that. I would prefer to have one or two home bases that we can explore from, instead of moving around every couple of days. With this in mind- would we need a car or is public transportation available? We would love beach time, seeing historic sites, active things (possibly scuba diving). It will be in July and we have two weeks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Connecto Tours & Transfers
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Korcula Explorer
Taxis & Shuttles, Walking Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Boat Tours
Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
8,560 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If I had to pick two places to stay- which ones?

You need a car when in Croatia if you like to explore.

Durham
Level Contributor
5,082 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If I had to pick two places to stay- which ones?

Why spend the best part of 2 days going to Dubrovnik via Bari when you are only a few hours away from Istria which also has towns with beautiful Venetian architecture? If it's Dubrovnik or bust you could take an internal flight after the first week, but there are good places closer to Istria you could choose for your second centre.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If I had to pick two places to stay- which ones?

We have just spent two weeks in Croatia with two pre teens (9 and 11 year old boys - one sporty, one not!), We did a mix that worked really well for us so thought i'd share as it might give you some ideas. We flew into Dubrovnik and the hired a car and drove down the Peljesac peninsula - beautiful views, stopping in Mali Stron and Ston to see the defence walls and salt pans, driving through the vineyards to a campsite near Orbic. Camp Nevio - we stayed in a cabin overlooking the sea (no. 38) which was new, clean had a great little beach and super onsite restaurant. We visited Orbic and surrounds, (you can also get a ferry to Korcula from here). We took the ferry from Ploce to the mainland and drove down the coast to Trogir (watch out traffic can be bad in places) where we book a boat tour for a week with Island Hopping.... this made the holiday for the adults!! All food taken care of and Darko our chef was super, the guides (Katarina and Piera) brilliant especially with the kids, ship fantastic - they have a range in the fleet, we went on Princeza Diana which was beautiful with great cabins, deck space etc. Everyday we went to new towns and new islands, stopped for swim breaks and kayaks were onboard for all to use, we hiked and cycled (they do everything with the bikes for you). In a short space of time we really got to see that part of Croatia, far more than if we tried alone in two week and with kids in tow they were never bored. After a fab sailing trip we drove back to Dubrovnik and camped (yes we took tent and gear on planes with us), we stayed at Camp Solitudo, which is 10 min bus ride to the old town and in a great spot for a local beach. Copacabana beach has lots of watersport activities and our kids loved the giant 'total knockout' style inflatable water olympics sea play attraction, adults can go on too - we did and its fun but as adults be warned you may ache in ways kids don't the next day!. On our trip we had a hire car two days at the start and one day to get from Trogir back to Dubrovnik, otherwise we used buses or boats. We went to other islands as days trips from Dubrovnik Lokrum, good half day trip esp. on a hot day; but in honesty the others were nothing to the beauty of Korcula, Hvar, Brac etc... Take a look at the Island Hopping itinerary for ideas. islandhopping.com/multi-adventure-family-hol…

4. Re: If I had to pick two places to stay- which ones?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 13:25
Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
33 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If I had to pick two places to stay- which ones?

Thanks so much! All info I get is helpful!

Tammy

6. Re: If I had to pick two places to stay- which ones?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 05:18