We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best island for honeymoon (hvar, vis, korcula, or others?)?

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Topic
best island for honeymoon (hvar, vis, korcula, or others?)?

so i'm torn between vis, hvar, or korcula (i think island hopping to diversify experience would be more of a pain than it's worth, but i could be convinced otherwise). we're going to head to a few other places in croatia, but the island part of the trip will be the most "honeymoon" aspect of the trip so i'm not as worried about prices.

seems like consensus says vis is a good spot for honeymooners, but there don't seem to be many great places to stay there. i don't really care about nightlife, just food, pool/beaches, and a nice hotel/B&B to relax at, and a cool island/town to putter around on a scooter or on foot. the places in vis seem quaint, but don't really seem to have great lounging options like some on hvar (hotel podstine) and korcula. but, the reviews of some of the small hotels on vis seem positive.

anyone have thoughts?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,522 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best island for honeymoon (hvar, vis, korcula, or others?)?

I would definitely say Vis but the part of finding a really nice hotel is the difficult part.....everything else says Vis to me! Maybe someone can give you a nice play to stay in Vis Town or Komiza?

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best island for honeymoon (hvar, vis, korcula, or others?)?

I really need the rest of the itinerary to comment fully, but maybe some of this will help.

Aside from some notable exceptions, you will not find many boutique hotels in Croatia, and not to my knowledge on Vis. The alternative -- and a lack of resorts marring the coast -- is so much better. What I really like so much about Croatia is the way that tourism benefits are so shared among the people, with it quite common for a family to live on one floor and convert the rest of their home into apartments. You can get an apartment with a kitchen (a bonus in countries where breakfast is not as important is it is to this yank) and a stunning sea view balcony for less than what you would pay for a dive hotel in the US. If you do want a luxury hotel, then Dubrovnik, Split, Hvar are the places to get it.

In three visits to Croatia (including my honeymoon), Vis was by far my favorite. One of the meals of our life was at Konoba Vatrica (not a fancy place, just perfect roast fish). We rented scooters and zoomed all over the island, through vineyards and curvy roads with great views, and then stopped to hike down into coves where we could have the beach to ourselves. We rented an apartment from a WW2 vet who regaled us with stories and shared his homemade brandy, wine, and olive oil. I helped him shell fava beans, and we ate oranges right off the tress next to the balcony. It was our ideal, but it may not be yours. However, with the rest of your itinerary you can balance things out where you get some city time, some luxury time, and some relaxed island time.

Hope that helps!

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best island for honeymoon (hvar, vis, korcula, or others?)?

I just went to grab some links to accommodation for you, and I noticed that the Hotel San Giorgio in Vis has recently been renovated:

http://www.hotelsangiorgiovis.com/ (My server would not open this)

www.tz-vis.hr/Default.aspx?sifraStranica=284 (see also the private accommodation section if an apartment interests you).

I used this agency: croatia-hotels-apartments.com/vis-island_cro…

I just saw I had pasted the above in your other post as well, but I can't keep track. If this is helpful or if you have questions, please let me know.

Edited: 14 March 2014, 16:26
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,522 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best island for honeymoon (hvar, vis, korcula, or others?)?

Yes maybe the Hotel San Giorgio would be something you would like.......check it out and hopefully it would work so you can get out to Vis!

Durham
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best island for honeymoon (hvar, vis, korcula, or others?)?

If you want a hotel on Vis the San Giorgio is the best, but you could probably get a villa or apartment with a more romantic setting.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,522 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best island for honeymoon (hvar, vis, korcula, or others?)?

After being on Vis I just think that would be the best place for a honeymoon....actually Croatia itself is a great place but I just liked the beauty and peacefulness of Vis..so laid back! I am sure you could find laid back parts of other islands, but I think the remoteness of Vis makes it so special!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,522 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best island for honeymoon (hvar, vis, korcula, or others?)?

I just to post a picture that I recently saw of Komiza on Vis...wow!

http://instagram.com/p/lZT-49oWIR/

vienna
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best island for honeymoon (hvar, vis, korcula, or others?)?

so, where did you go in the end? did you go to Vis? and did you like it? we're thinking of spending a week there.

9. Re: best island for honeymoon (hvar, vis, korcula, or others?)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 05:16