We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leave in 4 weeks - itinerary feedback appreciated

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Leave in 4 weeks - itinerary feedback appreciated

Hi guys

I'm getting really excited about my solo trip to Croatia for 2 weeks one month from now. I would really appreciate your expertise about this rough itinerary because it is time to book asap! It's a packed schedule - I am young and fit - but is it too much?!

June 12: Arrive Dubrovnik 11.35am

13 - Dubrovnik - Full day sightseeing. Is 1 full day enough?

14 - Mljet: Arrive 10.50am.

15 - Mljet

16 - Vis (big travel day: 0615 ferry back to Dubrovnik; 0900 bus to Split; 1500 boat to Vis - arrive 16.25)

17 - Vis

18 - Vis ( possible visit Bisevo/ Blue Cave on day trip; or leave out and see more of Vis?)

19 - Hvar (Leave Vis 0700 - arrive Split 0825; catch 0930 boat to Hvar - arrive 10:35).

20 - Hvar

21 - Hvar

22 - Split (11 am boat - arrive 12.05)

23 - Split

24 - Split

25 - Plitvice Lakes. Hire car - arrive by 12pm. How much time do I need here? Stay the night.

26 - Split - drive back - flight home to London at 18:25.

Should I drop Vis/ Mljet. I want to experience a remote 'getaway' island for a few days - which would best suit? Open to swapping for Korcula too.

Also, lose a day in Split and add to Dubrovnik? And how much time do you need to amble round Plitvice?

Thanks in advance - all feedback appreciated. Don't be afraid to be honest! ... And if anyone is around at these times pls get in touch as would be good to meet likeminded travellers while I'm there!

Edited: 13 May 2014, 00:56
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,124 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leave in 4 weeks - itinerary feedback appreciated

I have never been to Mljet but in terms of connections it seems like the place to skip in terms of what else you want to get to...I love Vis and I think that is somewhere you should go. Also I don't think one night in Dubrovnik does it justice...yes I know some will say you can see everything in one day but I disagree...we will spend four nights there and I know when we leave I will wish we would have had more time there. Sure you can run around and 'see' everything, but I don't think one can experience it or any other place in one night. There used to be a Tuesday catamaran from Hvar to Vis and maybe that would help go between those two places.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leave in 4 weeks - itinerary feedback appreciated

Barry's right. Skip Mljet (you have to get the 06:15 ferry back to Dubrovnik, which means you'd have to stay in Sobra where the catamaran departs from. Sobra is at the opposite end of the island from the NP where the big lake/monastery is, about 20kms away). A whole day spent on just getting from one place to the other. You could add those spare days to Vis, Hvar and/or Dubrovnik.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,124 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leave in 4 weeks - itinerary feedback appreciated

Jojo...was that painful to say skip Mljet? Someday I am going to get there....just way too many great places to see in Croatia and never enough time to see everything!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leave in 4 weeks - itinerary feedback appreciated

Yes, it was! But in this instance it makes sense. I really want to go the other islands, but it would mean not being on Mljet, so not doable!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leave in 4 weeks - itinerary feedback appreciated

Thanks a lot for the advice; I am dropping Mljet for an extra day each in Dubrovnik and Vis...

By the way, do you know if the 5am bus from Dub - Split still runs on a Sunday? ( as per these links: http://www.libertasdubrovnik.com/voznired.pdf

http://www.ak-split.hr/EN/vozni.red/VozniRedDolazaka.aspx).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leave in 4 weeks - itinerary feedback appreciated

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be operating, especially in summer. I've never got the early bus on that route. Having dropped Mljet, your trip will be more relaxed, enjoyable and less stress. It's a shame you won't see Mljet, but you've got two islands on your itinerary and enough time to really enjoy them. Enjoy!

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,738 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leave in 4 weeks - itinerary feedback appreciated

Can't you travel between Hvar and Vis on the Tuesday catamaran? I say this because I'm not sure about your timing from vis and out again to Hvar an hour later as you are reliant on there being tickets available. (I know people are saying you can buy on-line but I can only see that you can do that for the international and coastal ferry???)

8. Re: Leave in 4 weeks - itinerary feedback appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 05:17