We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Balos Lagoon in a hire car

Level Contributor
4 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Balos Lagoon in a hire car

Hi,

I am staying at Christina Beach in Kissamos in June this year. We have a small hire car for the week and I am just wondering what peoples thoughts are on taking a hire car down the dirt track to the lagoon? I know people advise a 4x4 but would a small car get me there ok if I took it steady? Any advice much appreciated or tips on other beaches/places to visit.

Thanks!

Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Balos Lagoon in a hire car

It would take you there, the road is quite good (for a dirt road) but you probably would not be insured for damage occurring to the car and tyres.

Level Contributor
4 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Balos Lagoon in a hire car

Thanks. How are the roads getting to all of the other well known beaches along the west coast?

Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Balos Lagoon in a hire car

Tarmac

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Balos Lagoon in a hire car

I wouldn't, I think it needs 4x4, but some people do it in small hire cars. You definitely won't be insured.

Take a look on YouTube at 'drive to Balos' & you can see videos of the road so you can decide yourself!

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
847 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Balos Lagoon in a hire car

1 hour slow drive from Kissamos, then walk 20 minutes down an easy and well marked path, with panoramic views.

Hersonissos, Greece
Level Contributor
254 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Balos Lagoon in a hire car

You know what?

I would recommend taking the day trip from Kissamos on the ferry.....

I did it last year (with three hours each way on a bus from Hersonissos)...it is a good day out and saves all that driving and clambering down stony tracks to Balos, although there is a man with a donkey part way down...Fare for the day was 15 euros return.

Also on the ferry you get to stop at Gramvousa Island on the way for a couple of hours, and you don't have to walk up to the fortress at the top, you can just stay on the beach.....

The ferry is kind of fun too, you can get food and drinks on it and they are not so expensive, there are tavernas on the beach at Gramvousa and Balos as well.

Maryland
Level Contributor
561 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Balos Lagoon in a hire car

You can read up on the TA reviews for the Balos/Gramvousa cruise: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1028265-d… Some people love it and others find the boat too crowded and touristy; may depend on the season. We took the boat last June and didn't enjoy it that much because of the crowds and limited time allowed at Balos lagoon.

Greece
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Balos Lagoon in a hire car

One problem is that if a damage occurs there is a strong possibility that the road assistance won't come. The reason is that the road to Balos is considered to be outside the official Greek driving network.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,708 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to Balos Lagoon in a hire car

I wouldn't drive it for 2 reasons; one, the risk of damage to the car, but also you would necessarily be concentrating on every inch of the road and wouldn't be able to take in the lovely views - and the death-defying antics of the goats on the cliffs!

I've only been once, and walked both ways from Kaliviani. It's about 10km each way, including the walk from the car park down to the beach. I'd do that again, but would also like to see the island and fort, so the boat trip would be pretty high on my list of things to do in the area.

10. Re: Driving to Balos Lagoon in a hire car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 17:15
Get answers to your questions about Kissamos