We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Atena Lucana

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Atena Lucana

I will be staying in Sorrento and would like to visit Atena Lucana. Is there a bus that could take me there? Help is appreciated!

3 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Atena Lucana

It's a distance of 101 km "as the crow flies" and more like 140 by road. However, train services to the Vallo di Diano (in which Atena is located) have long been replaced by buses from Naples and Eboli-Battipaglia and there are apparently also buses (pullman) from Salerno, see valloweb.com/orario_bus_pullman_autolinee_va… (but not many according to http://www.curcioviaggi.it/files_utente/2013%2009%20INFORARIO%20atena%20lucana%202309.pdf).

You could, just about, take a bus from Sorrento to Salerno (1h30 to Amalfi, then 1h15 to Salerno) then train to Battipaglia (20 mins or so, see http://www.virail.com/train-battipaglia-salerno), from where it takes 59 mins by bus to Atena (departures on weekdays at 07:10, 10:25, 14:15..) - but with connections this is going to add up to about 5 hrs, so I really don't think this is feasible as a day trip!

Other than hiring a car for the day, it might possibly be easier to take the Circumvesuviana back to Naples and start from there, see tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k6064…

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
819 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Atena Lucana

As qaminari wrote, Atena is on a former railway stretch (Sicignano-Lagonegro) which was discontinued a few years ago, but which is still considered as a part of the national rail network; then the website "Trenitalia" (Italian State Railways) shows the times of combined train-bus rides (like "Amtrak thruways" in USA), typically with a change in "Battipaglia" station.

So you can go also to www.trenitalia.com: click on UK flag, enter "Naples" or "Salerno" as departure and "Atena" as arrival. Enter the wanted departure time, for example "07" for 7am, "14" for 2pm.

Brun066

Edited: 07 October 2013, 17:08
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
819 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Atena Lucana

Sorry, not "Naples", but "Napoli"!

Reply to: Getting to Atena Lucana
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Atena Lucana