We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barking dogs at night

Chorley, United...
1 post
Barking dogs at night

Loved our holiday here this week. Villa in the Siller area. But it was spoiled by the incessant barking of many dogs at night. The villas around us bring privately owned had dogs which are left out at night. One dog will start barking and the whole area seems to erupt with it. Sleep is difficult. Does anyone know of this problem and if there are any plans to curb it by the authority.It would definitely be a factor as to whether we come here again.

9 replies to this topic
St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Barking dogs at night

Welcome to Spain my friend.

Glos.
Level Contributor
404 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Barking dogs at night

Never mind the barking-our stay was spoilt by all the dog mess on the pavements, even on the beautiful pine walk and outside the Illa Dor Hotel ! Disgusting, and such a hazard if you have young kids who don't watch where they're walking. How can the Council allow it, and how can owners be so selfish and spoil such a beautiful area ?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Barking dogs at night

When we stayed in port de alcudia we experienced the same non stop yapping day and night then one morning it all kicked off people were shouting across to the apartment who had the dog then they were shouting back the next thing the police turned up and the dog went quiet it’s not the dogs fault they should have taken it inside all holiday makers around our pool must have been cracking up I couldn’t bear it we spent 14 days down the beach. Why the residents act like that is beyond belief. We did visit PP and yes dog muck everywhere it’s disgusting they shouldn’t be allowed to keep animals when some people are animals themselves. It makes u wonder what the homes are like!

Nth Wales
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
224 reviews
4. Re: Barking dogs at night

Well l maybe barking mad and as a dog owner too , have never experienced any dog poo problems on the Pinewalk and the latest l visited was last year. I do though at home walking in my lanes always . Some people get annoyed by the sound of a plane, chicken, goat , bin collections, night sounding lizards , people returning from a good night out and yes dogs barking !

Sussex
Level Contributor
4,811 posts
102 reviews
5. Re: Barking dogs at night

The dog barking thing tends to go with being in the countryside. Dogs protect property but they get bored/lonely (and in some cases hungry) so they chat to their friends I guess. You tend to notice it less in summer with windows closed and a/c on.

The dog poo - didn't notice it much on the PW in September. I agree it's disgusting though - particularly when you have little ones whose fingers are always in their mouths. Toxocara canis is a really nasty thing.

Edited: 01 November 2017, 15:43
Glos.
Level Contributor
404 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Barking dogs at night

Stayed in Bellresgard for 5 weeks from 19 September,walked the pine walk every day, fresh dog poo every day until that lovely lady cleaner cleared it away-she works so hard.

Glad I don't live in North Wales then if its just as bad there-where we live is on 500 acres of NT land but no sign of dog poo, loads of Responsible dog owners who deposit it in designated bins.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Barking dogs at night

Maeveglos, and that’s all it takes somebody to be responsible for their own animal. Animals can’t clear their own mess up so it’s up to us humans to look after it and clean up. There was another mention of this on cala bona forum, a resident let his dog out every morning and watched it doing its business in front of holiday makers and called the dog back in while laughing!! Now if his own kids were to step in it and tread it through his own home who is he going to blame for that? Years ago u always seen people taking their dogs on beach but it’s all been stopped now and they’ve only got themselves to blame for not being responsible owners. I feel sorry for the dogs 🐕

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
79 reviews
8. Re: Barking dogs at night

Barking dogs are a common thing especially outside the main tourist resorts and Siller is more of a residential area than part of what you would the "Resort". It can be annoying and we had to put up with a lot of barking when we stayed in Selva this September.

Dog mess is another issue but like many I do not associate it with the pine walk. However I have seem more people cleaning up after their dogs these last few years than I have in the past.

hampshire
Level Contributor
651 posts
92 reviews
9. Re: Barking dogs at night

Have found lots of dog mess on all footpaths in Spain anywhere !

Have got used to the UK having largely got over these bad habits Not had too much problem with barking dogs where we stay but have stayed in other places mainly Italy where everyone who has a flat appears to have a yappy dog ! so you have my sympathy

Reply to: Barking dogs at night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port de Pollenca
Recent Conversations