We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendation for a young couple

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel recommendation for a young couple

Hi there,

My husband and I are hoping to go to Port de Pollenca for a week at the end of May. We are looking for a self catering apartment within a nice resort that has a good pool, bar etc and is central for town, restaurants and beaches although we are planning to hire a car while there to explore the island. There seems to be a lot of choice out there and I always find it useful to get some advice from people who have been before. Can anyone recommend a good hotel/self catering accommodation that sounds like it would fit the bill?

Many thanks,

Carol

Mentioned in this post
Pollenca
Pollenca
Majorca, Spain
wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendation for a young couple

The only S/C apartments/hotels that have all your requirements are the larger family-geared ones,to my knowledge.Swimming pools are available in smaller units but not a bar or resort facilities.More choices well away from areas convenient for resort centre which with a car you may not rule out including Playa Mar,Club Pollentia.But the one I mentioned first that meets your criteria is Aparthotel Valentin Puerto Azul.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
539 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendation for a young couple

WS, do you not think that the Puerto Azul would be too busy with kids, as it appears it is just a couple holidaying and I know some prefer not to have too many kids around. Being a Thomson Family hotel I expect it will have a lot of young kids there (being a regular at them over the years myself), but being out of season maybe not as many as in summer.

Edited: 06 April 2011, 11:41
wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendation for a young couple

Yes linz there will be a lot of children around especially during UK school holidays.But I think that will be the case at other resort-type complexes with all facilities on site including Playa Mar,Flora and Villa Concha.But you were right to mention it.

I think if I were one of a young couple (oh how I wish!) I would settle for a decent centrally located self-contained apartment complex (eg Maricel) with its own swimming pool, keep my own drinks in the fridge and go out to a bar when it suited.But that presumes that we enjoy a pool without lots of people around it and that we don't require entertainment or activities to be provided.And for Maricel I personally think the poolview apartments are essential.Not everybody agrees with me that it is worth paying the supplement above the ones overlooking Calle Formentor (which is much quieter these days since the new by-pass opened)..

KWUK our PP Destination Expert has discovered Sangri-La Apartments and having viewed them myself they are on a higher quality level than Maricel which they are close to.

I am going back to PP tomorrow and will be nosing around for other new S/C developments.

WS

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendation for a young couple

cguk81, firstly welcome to TA forum with your first ever post. As you've seen, your combined list of preferred requirements is a bit trixy to meet in one place. So here's a few thoughts -

If it's actually a hotel you're after then go B&B at one of (in my suggested order of preference) - (1) Miramar, (2) Sis Pins, (3) Hostal Bahia, (2) Diana. All are well located and each have their own plus-points, dependent on what you prefer.

If it's self catering apt you're after, then drop your requirement for a bar. There are plenty of bars from which to choose in PP and if you go for an apt complex with a bar it will be a family-biased place with kids / entertainment etc (ie the parents drink at the bar whilst the kids have something to do on site). If you really do want one of those then consider (1) Valentin Puerto Azul or (2) Flora.

If you want a 'less-kids' type of apt then Maricel, Sangri La or Bellesreguard are good, though the latter two have 2 or 3 bedrooms; but all have great pools, are quiet and no entertainment. Another that comes to mind is Hobby club but that is about 15 mins walk around the bay from the centre.

Whatever you do, keep it self-catering or B&B, so you can sample all the PP eating places for lunch & dinner.

You will find lots of choice of apts on http://www.puertopollensa.com/rentals/ and Pine Walk & Central are the locations to go for IMO.

If you wish to produce a shortlist of places that take your eye (and fit in with your budget), I'm happy to give feedback via a PM if you wish.

Mentioned in this post
Sis Pins
Sis Pins
794 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
5. Re: Hotel recommendation for a young couple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 17:19
Get answers to your questions about Port de Pollenca