We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out on very tight budget - recommendations pls!

Bournemouth UK
Level Contributor
262 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Eating out on very tight budget - recommendations pls!

Hi all,

Myself, my husband and our baby daughter are travelling to Puerto Pollensa next year, our daughter will then be 15 months. We will have a few nice meals out hopefully but will need to incorporate a few days on a very tight budget. Where can we eat out that will be quite cheap with decent food, family friendly, either in Puerto Pollensa or Pollensa itself?

Also, does anyone know if the little deli take away called Al Fresco is still there? Went a few years ago to PP and enjoyed getting take away from them for the beach!

Many thanks!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
10,879 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out on very tight budget - recommendations pls!

We have used the excellent Al Fresco numerous times. Unfortunately it closed in the past year, perhaps because a takeaway bagette shop (filled bagettes) opened on the same street 2/3 years ago but 100 yds closer to the beach. And that new shop is where we now go; though the menu range is not a varied as Al Fresco.

This summer someone new took over what was the 'Al Fresco' location but we didn't try it, as the bagette place is fine.

Every restaurant in the area is family friendly and I'm sure the waiters / owners will enjoy your young daughter being there and make a fuss of her.

For a tight budget seek out eating places that are one or two streets back from the front. The ones on the front (inevitably) have higher prices because of the aspect and lots of people strolling past.

One very good value, good food, family friendly restaurant is Trios - a short walk from the little deli you liked. Walk away from the front, past 'Al Fresco' and at the next junction turn right. Trios is about 200 yds along there on RHS. At the southern end of town (6 euros taxi) facing the sea is Tango Ca Vostra - very good value & food & familiy friendly

Edited: 15 October 2011, 20:52
wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out on very tight budget - recommendations pls!

You have not stated where or in what type of accommodation you are staying.

Bournemouth UK
Level Contributor
262 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out on very tight budget - recommendations pls!

Oh no, we used to really like Al Fresco! I wonder what it's like now? The baguette shop was nice too but a liked the variety at Al Fresco.

We will be staying self catering so may have one or two meals in but most out.

Will def take a look at trios. Is that the Tango restuarant which used to be off the square. It closed and didn't they knock the building down - what's there now? I heard the restaurant moved a little further down the coast.

wales
Level Contributor
383 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out on very tight budget - recommendations pls!

Have just returned from my first visit to PP, of course there are some places at the higher end of the price range, but we had a couple of Menu de Dia ` that were really good value and nice food. Usually 8.50 eu in most places. These were on the front at the Pine Walk end .

We did try to get into Little Italy , but it was packed out every time we passed, from 7.30 to after 10 pm, prices there seemed rather reasonable.

Every where seemed be doing paella, at about 9 eu, but I guess these would be a mass produced version, and wouldn`t be the same as in a good restaurant, the best I ever had was on the harbour in Valencia.

After reading other posts I was surprised at prices overall, Kos town last year was much more expensive for drinks and food.

Mentioned in this post
Pine Walk
Pine Walk
482 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Italy
Italy
Europe
Valencia
Valencia
Province of Valencia, Spain
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
10,879 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out on very tight budget - recommendations pls!

Yes, Tangos had to move when the lease expired on the building and the building owner decided to demolish it all and build a new apartment block on the site. The building work has gone on the past two winters and maybe (I'm guessing here) it will be finished in early 2012.

So Monolo (Tango owner) moved his restaurant to the extreme south end of the resort facing directly onto the road / sea; now called Tango Ca Vostra. It's a lot less frantic in the new location; food remains good & good value; and service remains exemplary. It's now best to book a window table in advance so that you get the wonderful view whilst you eat there.

Last time I asked Manolo he said he did not plan to return to the centre when that new block was finished.

Bournemouth UK
Level Contributor
262 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating out on very tight budget - recommendations pls!

I'm a bit worried about getting into the restaurants. At the start of the hol it will just be myself, my husband and our baby. But family are joining us later and there will be eight of us, not incl baby! We are visiting in August too so imagine the restaurants will be busy! I guess we'll have to pre-book some? Which ones are worth pre booking?

Also, is makassar still there? We had a decent food there but really rude service! We had nice food at the italian in the corner of the square, opposite bar cultural. I'm talking a couple of years ago now though.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating out on very tight budget - recommendations pls!

It's no big deal to pre-book any restaurant either by phone or,better still,in person.Little Italy is always busy and few tables so in August you can't rely on getting in for lunch or dinner.But the KWUK excellent recommendations of Tango and Trio you can pre-book.48 hrs ahead would be fine.But even in the peak season you will always find somewhere decent to eat.The key is "The best places are the busiest-and it's worth waiting for a table".But with an infant I realise the rules are different.

The more usual price for menu del dia is 10-12 euros in the square or back from the front.I have seen 8 or 9 euros though.

KWUK and I are both fans of Stay and pre-booking is essential at weekends.But it isn't cheap and it is not really the sort of place for young children.But their menu del dia (available evenings as well) at first sight mega-expensive is actually excellent value.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating out on very tight budget - recommendations pls!

The most reasonable place we found was a tapas place called Neptuno not too far from the main square- good food and great prices and very child friendly

9. Re: Eating out on very tight budget - recommendations pls!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2012, 00:18
10. Re: Eating out on very tight budget - recommendations pls!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Port de Pollenca