We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Illa D'or or Hotel Daina

Notts
Level Contributor
12 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Illa D'or or Hotel Daina

Hopefully visiting Port de Pollenca for the first time at the end of June and undecided about which hotel to stay in. We will hopefully be booking flights and hotel independently.

We are a couple in our 40's, travelling with no children and like a bit of luxury and some Spanish food. We would prefer somewhere that is NOT family orientated but also that is not geared up for the older generation as we found in a hotel in Palma where most of the guests were over 65, entertainment was aimed at this age group and all the evening meals were English roast dinners. I have nothing against either age group (I have children and parents) but would prefer a mix of ages. A sea view is a priority. Also, do either hotels have any evening entertainment and if so is it usually decent?

All responses gratefully received and hopefully I haven't offended anyone.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Illa D'or or Hotel Daina

No a detailed specification should not cause offence.

Hotel Illa d'Or has mainly elderly guests who like to be pampered.When I stayed the average age must have been well over 60 nearly 70.Frankly for the price I thought it was a rip-off and although we paid extra for a sea view the room was a big disappointment,very basic and pokey as was the bathroom.The sea view did not include a balcony.A simply wonderful location though.Some live entertainment of the staid variety but not every night.Most nights the dinners are waiter service.This hotel is geared to what the elderly like and the younger guest will feel more than a little out of place in my opinion.

Hotel Daina.I say it is essential to book a sea view or you will be in a room overlooking a dark busy street either at the side or rear of the hotel which is very centrally located near the taxi rank/bus station.There is live entertainment more geared to your age group but not every night.You will find guests of all ages there.

Not much luxury about either of these hotels(apart from the price of Illa d'Or).

End of June is an ideal time for visiting PP.Room with air-con essential.

Although there is never any entertainment for a middle-aged couple no children who are looking for quality and more than a hint of authentic Spanish Hotel Miramar B&B would be my tip.Sea view and balcony well worth the extra cost and the optional fixed menu evening meal is excellent .value.Book the evening meal at breakfast the day you want it.But so many decent places to eat in PP.

For varied nightly live entertainment The Palms near Hotel Pollensa Park.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,434 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Illa D'or or Hotel Daina

Wholly agree with what WS has said.

You are too young for Illa D'Or.

Daina sea view much more appropriate for your needs (front sea view, not side sea view, and as high a floor as possible).

But Miramar is an even better choice, again front sea view with balcony essential. You will find numerous options for entertainment within 4-5 mins walk from Miramar, Daina's entertainment being nearest.

Edited: 17 January 2012, 22:36
Bristol
Level Contributor
13 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Illa D'or or Hotel Daina

Yes, I totally agree with the two replies above. We’ve just booked a sea view room at the Daina for this year’s holiday; our first choice was the Miramar, but they had no sea view rooms available for the week we wanted - you really do need a sea view. Book bed and breakfast if you can as there are plenty of lovely restaurants to eat in in Puerto Pollensa. You’ve made a good choice with choosing this resort; this year will be our 7th year in a row!!

Scotland
Level Contributor
626 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Illa D'or or Hotel Daina

You might want to look at the gran terraza rooms in the Sis Pins. Have not been there since the sad demise of Globespan, but there were 2 rooms at the front, on the first floor, with huge terraces instead of balconies. Each terrace had tables and chairs, and two sunloungers. Fabulous views and the hotel has its own private beach. When we were there, the gran terraza rooms had fresh fruit and wine delivered daily. No entertainment, but close to the square, and the evening dinner on the terrace was very popular with non- residents.

Edited: 22 January 2012, 20:01
wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Illa D'or or Hotel Daina

Sorry to say it's all changed now macabi.The dining frontage is now given over to Cappucino's Cafe Bar.Nice,exclusive,roomy,comfortable,upmarket,trendy..... and very pricey.

Scotland
Level Contributor
626 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Illa D'or or Hotel Daina

Oh, dear! Have been to both Cappucinos in Palma and the one in Puerto Andrax, and they are very good - but the dinner at the Sis Pins was always great. I wonder if the Gran Terraza rooms are still there, and if they are noisy now that there is a cafe downstairs? What a shame....Change is not always for the best!

Notts
Level Contributor
12 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Illa D'or or Hotel Daina

Thanks for all your replies, they are very much appreciated. But the heading should probably now be Hotel Miramar or Hotel Daina? Not booking anything yet as youngest is doing A levels and off to uni this year so will have to wait until exam dates are out.

Any more comments and advice would be great as we still can't decide which hotel to stay in, but think we will be half board so it may depend on how good the food is in the hotels.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
539 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Illa D'or or Hotel Daina

Only advice I would give, and know the others would agree, is to avoid half board and eat out on an evening, as so many good places to go to it would be a pity to eat in the hotel every night.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,434 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Illa D'or or Hotel Daina

Agree totally with linz68. IMO go for B&B only; half-board would mean you miss out on one of the big plus-points of the resort - vast range of good eating places, all types, all price ranges.

Never eaten at Daina, hasn't appealed, but usually have one evening meal at Miramar (on outside terrace from a la carte menu) quite good but I think half-board residents are inside on a different menu so cannot comment on that. We also make use of Miramar's snack/ lunch menu on their outside terrace / bar area.

Notts
Level Contributor
12 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Illa D'or or Hotel Daina

Over the years have done half board and restaurants, but thought it may be more cost effective to do half board as we've noticed visiting mallorca in the last few years that eating out has looked an expensive option. Alcohol also seem to have gone up dramatically in price over the last few years. We like traditional food and love the choice of salads, fish etc that you can get if the half board option is good. Can anyone recommend a hotel with good food or is it definitely better to be b & b?

Get answers to your questions about Port de Pollenca
Recent Conversations