We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How busy is it at the end of May?

Which Port de Pollenca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wirral
Level Contributor
135 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
How busy is it at the end of May?

Hi all,

We had a lovely weeks holiday in Port de Pollenca in July and had some great advice on here regarding which apartments to book (advice was spot on - thanks!) and restaurants to visit (again, great advice!)

We are thinking about going again next year, but this time at the end of May (bank holiday/half term week). Just wondered how busy it is normally at this time of year?

Edited: 19 August 2013, 12:41
wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How busy is it at the end of May?

Nowhere near as busy as July but plenty of people about. Only slight risk is the weather but you would be unlucky if it wasn't fine.

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How busy is it at the end of May?

The weather wasn't very good this year at the end of may

Wirral
Level Contributor
135 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How busy is it at the end of May?

Thanks for your replies. Are all the restaurants and bars usually open?

Yes, we checked the historical weather online for the past 3 years for the end of May and it did say that this year was not as good as previous years. Maybe just a one off? But not very nice if its bad the whole time you are there!

How bad was it actually this May In PP? The online info was for Palma and not sure if it makes any difference with PP being an hour away?

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How busy is it at the end of May?

Everywhere that is going to be will be open well before the end of May. I was there the last week in April this year and it was poor weather the whole 8 days- windy,cold and wet. The worst weather ever for me in Majorca. But there is a big difference in the weather possibilities between the end of April and the end of May. Historically at the end of May there could have been the odd day with some rain but not a week of it as endured by me a month earlier.

It is true that there can be different weather conditions between the North and the South of the island. Even though the mountains run North/South.

Wirral
Level Contributor
135 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How busy is it at the end of May?

Thanks for your help.

We are not expecting the weather to be anything like it was in July (it was actually a little too hot!) but we would hope for warm and pleasant and hopefully not much rain!

It must have been horrible for you to have bad weather for the whole of your stay. We had a similar experience in Corfu in September years ago - there is nothing worse than a usually sunny holiday resort in the rain!

I think we will definitely give it a chance depending on the cost of easyjet flights for then once they are released. I am itching for them to be released!!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How busy is it at the end of May?

Don't just look at easyJet from Liverpool.I used to. But very often I get better prices and more convenient (to us) flight times looking at flights from Manchester which has more airlines on offer. Liverpool has just easyJet and Ryanair but Manchester has those plus Jet2. And there's not a lot in the travelling times from Wirral. Car parking at Manchester is superior imo.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
459 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How busy is it at the end of May?

Hi, we were in Puerto Pollensa between the 19th and 30th of May this year. For the first few days there was a cold wind blowing, and I think there was a light shower on maybe 3 days. For one of the days it rained on and off from lunchtime onwards. When the sun did come out it was hot, plenty hot enought for us with 3 small children (I don't think they'd like the July/August heat, especially for sleeping at night in air con was not available or not working properly), but I can't remember a day when it was hot all day. There was a lot of cloud about. DH and I went out one evening for a meal while my parents babysat at our hotel (the Puerto Azul, they were at the child-free Capri!), it was so chilly we ended up at Bony's in the square drinking hot chocolate with brandy to keep us warm!

Anyway, we were there in May 2004, May 2007 and May 2010 also. The only time I can remember any rain is a light shower on the day we were leaving in 2004. Every other year was more or less constant sunshine and pleasant temperatures, so I think this year was a one-off.

Wirral
Level Contributor
135 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How busy is it at the end of May?

Hi hippo87, thank for your great info - it was really helpful. Hopefully this year was just a blip! To be honest, it was so very hot in July that we could not do a lot of the sightseeing that we wanted to do, so we would be more than happy with cooler temps but hopefully sunny and only a little rain - fingers crossed!

Wirralscouse - I know exactly what you mean about the travel to Manchester as opposed to liverpool, there really is hardly any difference. Will definitely look at Manchester too and get a good comparison. Thamks

St Helier, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How busy is it at the end of May?

It certainly was a blip....we always go in May,love it then and always use Aircon as we have always had warm weather BUT this year, although some really nice days, we only required it on a few evenings and some evenings we used the heating!! First time ever! So, so unusual but the whole of the Med was the same this year. May is a lovely month normally, sea temperatures obviously not warm like September but it is the start of their season and everyone not as tired and jaded as in September after a long season, eager and full of enthusiasm, you can almost sense their excitement....a great time to visit .....you will love it.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
459 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How busy is it at the end of May?

Also, I've never flown from Liverpool but we really like Manchester. We use APH for car parking, off site but their buses are always there waiting at the airport when you arrive home. The service is really good.

This year we flew from East Midlands, thinking it was the most convenient airport for us on the south side of Sheffield - I'm never doing that again, I will gladly make the less-convenient journey over the Pennines just so I can fly from a decent airport. East Midlands is too small, it's like catching a plane from a bus station! I was completely stressed out by the time we got on the plane (ages at check-in, and queues for the coffee shops crossing queues for the departure gates meaning that on more than one occasion my kids came close to having hot coffee spilled on them).

Get answers to your questions about Port de Pollenca