We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes and other visitors....

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes and other visitors....

Just back from a holiday on Ile de Re in France. We got badly bitten by mosquitoes. Our hotel had no air conditioning and we left the window open just a tiny bit but the blighters still got us. Port de Pollenca is our next planned holiday. Are there areas where mosquitoes are more prevalent than other areas or do we just make sure that our accommodation has aircon. I do like sleeping with a window open though!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mosquitoes and other visitors....

Just returned from PP, totally mossie bite free! Never saw a mossie so perhaps conditions weren't right for them. I find Autan best, especIally the solid twist up block. Unfortunately this is hard to get hold of in the UK but is sold in the supermarkets in PP. I gave up on the plug ins but find the 'Spira' spirals, sold in supermarkets, work well. They burn and the mossies don't like the smell - great for open doors in the evening - though probably not recommended if children are around!

London, England
Level Contributor
8,284 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mosquitoes and other visitors....

Just returned from a holiday to Crete and was surprised at how many mozzies were around. We had 2 plug in machines in our room and I had also taken some spray on repellent. I didn't get bitten at all and my OH got one bite. I think we got off lightly.

We had a/c in the room, but didn't need it, but ensured we kept the balcony door closed once it became dusk and turned all lights off when we went out.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Mosquitoes and other visitors....

Is there a problem with mosses in can picafort do you know thank you

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Mosquitoes and other visitors....

Is there a problem with mosses in can picafort do you know thank you

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Mosquitoes and other visitors....

Anywhere close to Alcudia is prone to them due to the inland wetlands.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Mosquitoes and other visitors....

Tea tree oil and jungle formula seems to do the trick.

Sussex
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Mosquitoes and other visitors....

I once read a forum post about mozzies that said something like "oh get a life it's just mozzies". There speaks a lucky sod who has never had a nasty reaction I thought. Over the years you work out what seems effective for you. There's nowhere in the Med as bad as Canada (esp the prairies near lakes in the summer) where mozzies the size of small birds will bite you through a denim jacket and some carry encephalitis. However a part of PP that always seems worse than others is the otherwise charming little nature reserve, La Gola, near Los Zarzales restaurant. It runs along the little river opposite the South Beach. Used to be a bit of a dump but now there are really interesting signs about the wildlife. I've always thought that staying near there might be bite-city but with a/c, closed windows from dusk to dawn you're probably fine even there.

Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Mosquitoes and other visitors....

Arrived back today from Las Velas Apartments in the southern part of the resort. We weren't aware of any mosquitoes, but my husband woke one night to find one buzzing around our bedroom. And yes, he had four bites next day. No idea why he gets bitten and I don't! We had the Avon spray and a plug-in mozzie killer but didn't think we needed them until it was too late!

lincoln
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Mosquitoes and other visitors....

different things work for different folk. I swear by lemon juice. The one from the bottle is fine and a cheap alternative to some expensive maybe worthless high street remedies. Give it a try :)

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Mosquitoes and other visitors....

That's right metallica they don't like citrus.But don't write off the branded treatments as worthless. DEET-based mosquito repellents are very effective. I swear by Autan spray and Jungle Formula (not the wipes).

I have been a member of this forum for a few years now and so many times I have seen posts from bods saying "never saw one mosquito in a fortnight".And I am in the Eat Me category.

They are there believe me.If your blood group appeals to them they will find you.But they won't be in an air-conditioned room and thankfully most accommodations (apart from Bellevue) are air-conditioned these days.Wasn't always the case.

Get answers to your questions about Port de Pollenca