We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where do the locals eat?

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
where do the locals eat?

HI, We are looking forward to a ten night stay in Puerto Pollensa next month. I have read some of the restaurant reviews and have a few ideas of where to try (Neptunes?). I am wondering if anyone could recommend some down to earth tapas-style bars (maybe popular with locals?). I love discovering the authentic places on holidays and a few years ago in Alcudia we had a few local recommendations that really made our stay. We are travelling with children so aren't looking for Michelin-style food, just good quality down to earth local cooking. Can anyone help?! Thanks

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where do the locals eat?

As you surmise the locals frequent Bar Neptune at lunchtimes and afternoons.Authentic tapas.The larger portions (raciones?) are too much.House wines are remarkable value.

On Sundays the wealthy locals dine out en famille at Rest Stay especially late afternoon.It is important to pre-book for Stay for weekend visits.

I daresay the not-so-well-off locals don't dine out at all except on high days and holidays.Like we do when we are not on holiday they eat chez nous.

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where do the locals eat?

Col- I concur with Wirral,and have noticed Osteria No 15 ( think it's called that) on the square seemed popular with Spanish people.

I'll be able to let you know for sure in 17 days!

Similarly there were quite a few Spanish people eating at the restaurants in Pollensa town ( thus is well worth a visit and well be back up there when we arrive,for sure)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,679 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where do the locals eat?

Calhoney, in addition to the above suggestions, you might have a look at El Posito and Naciente, both in the back streets in the central area of the resort and could be the sort of eating place you're seeking.

Also every Thursday evening there is a Ruta Del Tapeo in operation (been going for a couple of summers now). Have a look at this link, but scroll down to recent pages for info on who is currently on the Ruta list.

…puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollens…

PS to stevenc4874 - we're all hoping you will again give us the daily updates that entertained us so well during your last visit with your group.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where do the locals eat?

I have seen Osteria #15 but never been in.I need to broaden my horizons.I like traditional Mallorquin dishes like Mallorquinfrit and Tumbet. Also squid rings in batter.But some of the authentic tapas eg tripe,octopus,pigs ear,intestine leave me cold.If you go into a locals place you have to prepare yourself for some culinary shocks.it's not anglicised.

Scotland
Level Contributor
272 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where do the locals eat?

You can enjoy tapas at O Lume. Great service and good house wine. Worth a visit.

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where do the locals eat?

KWUK- I plan to do my blog as I enjoy it ( if nobody ekes does!)

It will be like having your very own Judith Chalmers in resort for a week,apart from I'm a man and don't have a tan,yet,like an oak table.

Will probably post it a day or two before we go and then start it Sunday 22 June.

Sussex
Level Contributor
4,281 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where do the locals eat?

I would hazard a guess that nine out of ten Spanish/Catalan people you see aren't locals - just like lots of the staff in cafes and restaurants, they are often from elsewhere in Mallorca and the mainland. I agree wih StevenC about Osteria No 15 - one of our top 3. Full of Spanish tourists - often in big family groups. My impression is you see mostly Brits, Germans etc in the tapas places. C'an Josep is another place where you see Spanish/Catalan. Along the Pinewalk and hiding behind it is Bar Coral where along with more Brit type food they serve local but affordable dishes like Tumbet (a version of ratatouille but better imo) and you see locals there - they are the ones eating inside whereas the rest of us are peeking at the sea while we eat. I've also noticed lots of Spanish speaking tourists at the Dakota (poor imitation of Tex Mex) so they like their junk food too. I find that every time we go I have new places to try - thanks to suggestions here on the forum.

Sussex
Level Contributor
4,281 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where do the locals eat?

StevenC I love reports - wish more people would do them. I tend to think no-one would be interested in hearing about our exploits and yet I am fascinated when others do that...maybe I'm just plain nosey. I wish they wouldn't leave out the row with the missus, the burst sun creme in the luggage, the jellyfish sting on the bum. Not that those things have ever happened to me of course.

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where do the locals eat?

Sorry my thank you post seems to have disappeared. Many thanks to all posters, they are exactly the things I was looking for and are much appreciated. Will definitely try out most/ of not all that have been suggested....without the tripe and pigs ears!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where do the locals eat?

Don't worry colhooney all tapas menus seem to have Russian Salad and Ham Croquettes!

Get answers to your questions about Port de Pollenca