We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA to San Diego Want to include Catalina

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
764 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
LA to San Diego Want to include Catalina

I am flying in to LA on a Friday night. Would like to catch the ferry to Catalina for the weekend and need to be in San Diego by Monday am. Can you ferry from La area and than return more south, closer to San Diego? Does the ferry allow cars? Sorry, need to know soon, this site is always best bet!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA to San Diego Want to include Catalina

No, no cars allowed on the ferries.

Here are the options to get to/from Catalina:

http://www.catalina.com/directions.html

Marina Del Rey is the closest option for LA (and from LAX)- San Pedro and Long Beach also work.

Dana Point is the closest to San Diego.

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
764 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA to San Diego Want to include Catalina

So, can you get on in one place, and take it back to another? In other words, buy 2 one-way tickets?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA to San Diego Want to include Catalina

When I last checked, the operators departing from all locations other than Long Beach, the Queen Mary, or San Pedro required round-trip tickets. However, that may have changed over time. There are ferries to Catalina from Marina del Rey, San Pedro, the Queen Mary, Long Beach, Newport Beach, and Dana Point. Barring more insight from others, I recommend a quick Google search of the operators to find out policies for sure.

(Note: Although Dana Point is closest to San Diego, you need to factor in car availability if you plan on renting. It may be easier to rent a car in Long Beach.)

USA
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA to San Diego Want to include Catalina

Sounds like a tight schedule for a side trip to Catalina. It also sounds as if you are renting a car for the drive from LAX to San Diego. If both my assumptions are correct, then you might consider getting to Catalina (Avalon) by helicopter. My daughter and her friend took the helicopter and thoroughly enjoyed it. Besides being a great, quick ride they spotted some whales en route. Might be worth a consideration.

USA
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA to San Diego Want to include Catalina

Sorry, I forgot the web site for your reference. Here it is:

http://www.islandexpress.com/

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,444 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA to San Diego Want to include Catalina

If you book through Catalina Express, you can go from Long Beach to Avalon and then Avaon to Dana Point. But I would recommend a round trip Long Beach to Avalon. Especially if you are renting a car. You can park it at the Long Beach terminal and it will be waiting for you when you get back. Long Beach is the closest point to Avalon and much quicker trip to Avalon.

7. Re: LA to San Diego Want to include Catalina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2010, 05:16