We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avalon Hotel VS Pavilion?

Level Contributor
44 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Avalon Hotel VS Pavilion?

I am beginning my research for our hotel stay. It is unclear to me as to which hotel, the Avalon or the Pavilion [ or another which I may have missed and you experts may suggest] would suit. We are experienced travelers who are seeking to have a long weekend. We would be getting an ocean view room. Being centrally located to fine restaurants on the island is important. Having a mini bar in the room is not even a factor in the decision making process. However, having a clean, well appointed room is essential. Thank you, in advance for any guidance, pro/ con. I am deeply appreciative as I have a knowledge base of zero when it comes to hotels on the island.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avalon Hotel VS Pavilion?

Both hotels are very nice. The Pavilion was recently remodeled and it sits right on Crescent Avenue. The Avalon Hotel is also new and has great views from the balconys. I have not stayed at either hotel but they look great. The Pavilion tends to get a lot of positive reviews on the forum. But none of the rooms have an "ocean view". The rooms are mostly ground level and they over look a nice courtyard with firepit. I think the views from The Avalon rooms would be nicer.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avalon Hotel VS Pavilion?

We always stay at the Pavillion Hotel, which is now very nice for Avalon. There are private patios, a fire ring with comfy chairs around it, and a grassy centercourt area. The hotel now offers two luxury suites with splendid ocean views on the second floor. They serve continental breakfast in the morning from thier lobby area.

Have not stayed at the Avalon hotel.

Level Contributor
44 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avalon Hotel VS Pavilion?

Thank you for your insights. It is equally exciting and frustrating to plan a vacation in a new place. Having the recommendations from people with experience is priceless. Thank you for the time and attention you gave to my question.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avalon Hotel VS Pavilion?

p.s. I think the Pavilon Lodge may be more quiet. It sits right on a section of Crescent Avenue that is all foot traffic (no cars). I've driven past the Avalon Hotel and it looks nice but I think my first choice would be The Pavilion Lodge. We usually rent a condo at Hamilton Cove since there are 4 of us in our family.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Avalon Hotel VS Pavilion?

June - in my opinion, the Avalon is a more upscale hotel, and the price point likely reflects that. I haven't been inside the rooms in a few years, but my experience is that they are (or were?) trying to offer the best, by way of beds, bedding, towels, etc. The Pavilion is a great place (stayed there on our wedding night) and the courtyard is a good place to chill out, whether during continental breakfast, evening happy hour, or any time. Both places are directly across the street from the beach and any hotel on Crescent Avenue will be centrally located/walking distance to pretty much every restaurant, shop, etc. (it's a very short stretch of commercial "town"). The view from the rooms at the Avalon will be better, if that's what you want most, as well as a community rooftop (to counter the Pavilion's courtyard). In my opinion, the best room with a view is the Ocean Front Suite in the Hotel Vista Del Mar, so if view is most important to you, I would suggest looking into that to check availability for your dates, and whether price matches your budget.

Enjoy!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avalon Hotel VS Pavilion?

<<the best room with a view is the Ocean Front Suite in the Hotel Vista Del Mar>>

We stayed in this room a couple of years ago. It really needed updating and the noise level was unacceptable to us. There were golf carts going by at all hours, directly by our bedroom window. We did the like ocean view deck available to all guests as well as the continental breakfast. But it really was not worth the money, IMO.

Level Contributor
44 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avalon Hotel VS Pavilion?

I sincerely thank you all for your specific information. Honest assessments are priceless. Thank you.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Avalon Hotel VS Pavilion?

Martik - are you sure this was Hotel Vista Del Mar? I do not mean to challenge you but I am curious about the golf cart comment. The front of the hotel is on a walk-only street, and the back sits above an alley. I could see noise from garbage trucks etc. coming from the back. Both sides of the hotel are bordered by other buildings. Were you hearing golf cart noise from the front ocean view suite?

Thank you!

9. Re: Avalon Hotel VS Pavilion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 07:17