We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry ride to Catalina

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry ride to Catalina

My Daughter suffers from severe sea sickness is it a smooth ride on ferry or can it get quite rough ? How long does the trip take? Thanks!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry ride to Catalina

From which port do you plan to leave from, I think the smoothest and fastest trip is the Catalina Flyer, due to the trip is on a catamaran. It leaves from Newport Beach. Trip is about 70 minutes each way.

http://www.catalinainfo.com/Information.html

The other main company is Catalina Express, which has many ports, and uses more traditional ships, which tends to be a bit more rocky and slower. Depending on the port, 90 minutes to 2 hours each way.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry ride to Catalina

Thankyou that was very helpful

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry ride to Catalina

We take the Catalina Express from San Pedro every year, as we live near LAX and it's the closest to us. It takes about an hour and 15 minutes to get to Avalon. The Express has to go through Seaport Village where it docks, and motors out slowly until it is out of the harbor and hits the open ocean.

We always take the 9 am morning boat out when the seas are calm. The ocean can get choppy in the late afternoon. Someone in our group gets seasick so they sit inside in the middle of the boat for best ride both ways.

Have fun.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry ride to Catalina

In another post of the OP, they are based in Anaheim, so San Pedro doesn't make sense.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry ride to Catalina

I am very prone to sea sickness. I take motion sickness medicine and sit outside and I am generally fine. I have gone from Newport Beach and Long Beach. The ocean can be rough and I would never go without some sort of sea sickness medicine though.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 16:02
Catalina Island...
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry ride to Catalina

Hi Ashlang,

Both the Catalina Express (the most frequent departures, departing from Long Beach, San Pedro, and Dana Point) and the Catalina Flyer (departing from Newport Beach) are fast and smooth catamaran rides. The shortest point to point would be Long Beach to Avalon, which takes just over an hour.

Hope this helps!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry ride to Catalina

Thanks everyone!

S.Calif
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry ride to Catalina

Helicopter from Long Beach is another option...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry ride to Catalina

that's interesting! do you know how much they charge ? and the company name

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry ride to Catalina

Island Express Helicopters flies to Catalina from both Long Beach and San Pedro heliports. It only take 15 minutes. Prices start at $125.

www.islandexpress.com/flights.php…