We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Quality - Is it safe/advisable to snorkel lovers cove?

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
53 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Water Quality - Is it safe/advisable to snorkel lovers cove?

I'm sure everyone's seen the reports, supposedly Avalon is the dirtiest beach in the United States due to poor sewer systems on the island. We're staying in southern California in August, I was planning on making a day trip of Catalina (catching the boat, renting a golf cart and bringing my snorkeling gear) but after reading of the articles I'm having second thoughts. A lot of the underwater videos seem murky... after reading all the articles on various sites I can't help but wonder if that's sand or sewage clouding up the water. Can anyone speak to this? I've never snorkeled before, was planning on heading to Lovers Cove. Even ordered an expensive underwater camera and fish eye lens to capture the moments. Should I steer clear? We're staying for a few nights in Laguna Beach, should I stick to snorkeling there? Thanks so much!!

Edited: 18 May 2014, 16:01
Catalina Island...
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Quality - Is it safe/advisable to snorkel lovers cove?

Hello david,

As a resident of Catalina Island, I find the snorkeling at Lover's Cove to be among the best on the island. This area is a protected marine reserve area, and the kelp forests and the Garibaldi that live among the kelp are definitely something to see. I don't think that you are likely to find comparable quality snorkeling in the Laguna Beach area. Lover's Cove also offers steps directly into the water that make this location very accessible for snorkeling. As an aside, the overall water quality on the island has been steadily improving recently, and most testing locations on the island last year received top marks.

Hope this helps!

Edited: 19 May 2014, 20:28
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
53 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Quality - Is it safe/advisable to snorkel lovers cove?

Thank you for your reply actgurlinva! Other than Lovers Cover what spots would you recommend for Snorkeling on the island? Any other tips? We're going to be renting a golf cart so transportation will hopefully not be an issue. We're also planning on doing the seal and dolphin tour so that our girlfriends can enjoy. (they don't like getting in the water really) Based on another users suggestions in the Laguna Beach forum I decided not to pursue snorkeling in Laguna while we're staying 4 nights at the Surf and Sand since there isn't much to see there. I also decided not to purchase any snorkeling gear for myself and just rent them while we're out there. (I live in Texas, not much use for it here) I booked a guided snorkel tour at La Jolla Cove on one of the days that we're not at Laguna or Catalina. (we will be in California for 12 days total) I was surprised to hear that the tours at La Jolla were almost totally sold out for august already. Would you suggest booking the seal and dolphin boat tour and snorkel gear rentals now or will we be OK to wait until the week we fly out there to book? Its tricky because we will be in California for 12 days and I was planning on looking at the weather to decide on what day we spend in Catalina. Perhaps I should just pick a date and book?

Edited: 19 May 2014, 21:00
3. Re: Water Quality - Is it safe/advisable to snorkel lovers cove?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 07:23