We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter walking

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
164 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Winter walking

Hello

I am finding little information about winter walking/hiking in Andalucia in january. Las Alpujararras is one of the few areas where the temperature is usually ok apparently. We would be fine with low teens - celsius. Was also looking at aracena for a more unexplored area but that appears to be cold as does Ronda/Antequera. Looking to establish a rural base for four or five days of relaxation and nature on a trip to Spain. We've been to Northern Spain in summer and it was fantastic (Comillas and thereabouts.) Any reason I should stop thinking about making a rural stop at this time of year?

The debate is that if it is absolutely dead, we are coming from France and we might as well stay in Provence where a bit more might be open? thank you.

5 replies to this topic
Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter walking

For current weather forecast for Trevelez (the highest village in the Alpujarras): aemet.es/es/…trevelez-id18180

The town of Orgiva, which is much lower, is warmer: aemet.es/es/…orgiva-id18147

However, the best walking is on the whole closer to the altitude of Trevelez. There's no problem walking anywhere in the south of Spain in winter, and it's beautiful with the snow-covered mountains as a backdrop. At the moment we're having incredibly clear, crisp days - cold, but lovely views.

Have a look at our website for general info about walking in the Sierra Nevada mountains (which include the Alpujarras) and for specific walks that are suitable in winter: www.treksierranevada.com. We don't have as many walks as we would like to have in the Alpujarras, but there are a few, and the Lecrin valley is a good option if you want warmer temperatures. Unless you're very lucky you'll probably only have low-to-mid teen temperatures for a few hours in the middle of the day, but the sun can make it feel a bit warmer.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter walking

You note that Ronda appears to be cold. When seen from a distance in winter it is often seen in a shroud of low lying lightweight mist/cloud so I suspect this may be because is sits in something of 'hole' compared to the rest of the area so temperature inversion and local cold.

I have stayed in Montejaque near Grazelema for the last 2 Xmas' and will back there next week. The forecast coming is for 14-16C degrees and a good amount of sunshine so the effective temperature in the sun will feel higher. Last year we had up to 22C at times so the Sierra de Grazelema can be really good for winter walking, and its a lovely area.

Cant say anything about Aracena in winter but stayed there this summer. Very pleasant woodland walks in rolling countryside but not mountainous.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
164 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter walking

thanks to both of you. we are coming from snow and slush covered streets and don't too much want that on the holiday. saw a picture of snow-covered Bubion and was surprised.

Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter walking

You are right about Ronda. We were there in December a coup;e of years ago. We were lucky to have clear blue skies but it was still very cold. I wouldn't risk it in January myself!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
164 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter walking

I think we will rent a car and travel around for a week, following the sun. All the areas seem fantastic but quite far away from each other. A couple of days around Ronda and maybe a couple around Alpujarras. Will do a trip report.

Reply to: Winter walking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Province of Granada
Recent Conversations