We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kausani in August?

Which Kausani hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
29 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Kausani in August?

Hello fellow travellers,

We are a couple in early 30s with a 4 year old daughter. We are planning a trip to Kausani in August - the 15th August long weekend to be precise. The plan was to travel from Delhi to Kathgodam by train and hire a taxi for the journey thereafter.

Here was a rough itinerary we thought of :

Board train on 14th August night. Arrive at Kathgodam on 15th Morning.

15th - Taxi till Ranikhet. Stay overnight at Ranikhet.

16th - After early breakfast, leave for Kausani and stay overnight at Kausani.

17th - After early breakfast, leave for Sitlakhet and stay overnight at Sitlakhet

18th - Leave from Sitlakhet to KGM . Catch afternoon train to Delhi

Note : we deliberately chose to break at Ranikhet/Sitlakhet so as to avoid 5 hour long road journey from KGM to Kausani (and vice versa) in one single stretch so that it is not too tiring for us , and more importantly for our daughter.

Any inputs/suggestions on this itinerary would be most appreciated.

More importantly, I was concerned about the weather in August. I know that this is not exactly the best time, since it is monsoons. Is it worth taking a risk to visit in August?Some intermittent showers are fine but I don't want a totally washed out holiday.Also, is there any chance of getting view of Himalayas from Kausani at this time? Please help with your inputs.

Thanks for taking out the time to help.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kausani in August?

Hi

Yes august mid will be monsoon time and of course unpredictable..

Ranikhet and kausani is doable in regular rain weather ..a heavy rain can cause landslides or other issues...

For sitlakhet take hawalbag-kathpudia-champa kholi route...its not a great road in monsoon..but better than other route..

You can also think about almora rather than sitlakhet...more stay option..better accessibility..

Your itinerary is fast..I will suggest you to choose 2 places only..so that you can relax well and will be good for your daughter..frequent change of weather will won't suitable for a kid..

Chances if himalayan range will be less if raining ..only a clear sky can help you in this..so finger crossed...

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
29 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kausani in August?

Thanks for your helpful inputs Lalbahadur.

Much to my disappointment, looks like I have to shelve the trip plan for now. On checking irctc today ie, 60 days before my planned travel date, tickets are already sold out( Waiting list 50 - 60 going on) :-(

Don't know if really so many people are travelling or there is some mystery here.

Anyway, I am not in a mood to travel by road all the way from Delhi to Kausani.

I think I have to come up with some alternative plans now :-(

Almora, India
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kausani in August?

Hey,

I am shivam, i live at almora from past 25 years and i know the places and climate very well.

as u mentioned u want to visit ranikhet and shitlakhet you need not to break ur trip in two halfs as from ranikhet it takes just 1 hour drive to shitlakhet from kathgodam it will take 4hrs which i guess is not much. being a monsoon time at august let me tell u road condition and alternate roads if some roads gets blocked. Ranikhet road till now has always been open in almost every heavy rainfall as hills is on the stronger plates and has no landslides till the date, if by chance u get stuck there are 3 ways to reach kathgodam

1) via almora-bhawoli-bhimtal

2) via mukteshwar-ramgarh-bhawoli

3) via lamgara

shitlakhet has very few good accomodations, basically it is a small town and has a famous temple where you will have to trek around 3 kms to reach there. it can be a good trip with friends but with family i wont recommend.

plan a trip for 2 days if you want to relax at kausani.

sending you a link of a resort at kausani where you can relax and enjoy with your family

http://himalayadarshankausani.com/

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
29 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kausani in August?

Hello fellow travellers,

With your helpful inputs (special thanks to Lalbahadur and Shivam), here's what I finally booked and arranged for :

15 Aug : Train from DEL to KGM reaching there at noon. Hire Taxi from rly station for entire trip duration. Go to Ranikhet. Stay at KMVN TRH Mall Road. Visit Haidakhan Babaji temple in the evening

16 Aug : Visit Jhula Devi temple, followed by Chaubatia gardens in the morning

After lunch, visit Binsar Mahadev temple and travel to Kausani. Stay at KMVN Kausani.

Visit Anashakti Ashram in the evening if time permits

17 Aug : Visit Rudrahari Mahadev temple in the morning

Post lunch, visit Baijnath group of temples. Overnight at KMVN Kausani

18th Aug : Leave for KGM via Almora after early breakfast since train is at noon

Any inputs on this itinerary would be really appreciated. Does this seem doable? I am not getting much idea about the distance between the various places that I am covering as day trips from my base in Ranikhet/Kausani to judge about feasibility as they are not showing up on google maps.

Also, any idea about how much would taxi charge for the 3 full days hire?

Thanks for taking out the time to help.

Almora, India
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kausani in August?

Hi,

your trip plan seems good but let me tell you travel time from each destination

u might be coming from anand vihar express from delhi which reaches at kathgodam at 11:50AM

you will get many taxi options available instead of kathgodam at haldwani which is 8kms before kathgodam take a auto riksha and go to taxi stand which is 10 mins from railway station.

taxi tariff will be around 2200-2500 for a alto 800 car per day.

you will be reaching at ranikhet around 3:30 PM(kathgodam to ranikhet 3 Hours drive) go to the temple of baba Haidakhan if you are not tired

as next day you can cover all the places as they are not so far, but try to take breakfast by 9 so that you get time to visit every place. 2hours drive to kausani(60kms).

next day planning is okay you can add tea garden if you get time.(kausani to kathgodam 5 hours drive 154Kms)

but KMVN out at ranikhet and kausani are not upto the mark as they charge if you have not made the booking go with some other options with same budget.

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
29 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kausani in August?

Hello Shivam,

Thanks for your inputs. Really helpful.Glad to know that the itinerary looks good. Will also keep in mind the tip about getting off at Haldwani instead of KGM.

Regarding hotels, I am afraid can't do much about it now since bookings are already done. However, I am still hopeful of a positive stay based on my past experience at KMVN Mukteshwar and KMVN Bhimtal. Keeping fingers crossed. :-)

Will update on tripadvisor regarding my experience at the hotels after the trip.

Nainital, India
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kausani in August?

sir first of all you shoud choose only 2 destination as due to monsoon no body can predict anyting

secondly u will get a plenty of tym to explore both the places very easliy nd dat will not let u nd ur baby to b full of tierdness.

u shoud do ranikhet & kausani..

due to rains himalyas are been showned up now from both the places,,,

nd i f u need a taxi den can contact us at 9719129016 or for any kinda queries,,

or if u want a pick up frm, delhi also den also we will arrange as per ur requiremrnts...

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
29 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kausani in August?

Hi,

I felt that I should update you all since you took the time out to help me with my queries. Unfortunately, I didn't make the trip. Cancelled it at the last minute due to monsoon/rain worries.

Hopefully, will plan this again at a better time. Will definitely keep in mind all the tips/advice that you provided.

Thanks.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kausani in August?

Hi SMlikesto travel

In mid august haldwani route was bit affected by rain but train were on time..also route to ranikhet and kausani from kathgodam was in good condition...

Better plan in april month to enjoy these places..nice time to visit..i visited in all seasons..personally i like march month for kausani-chaukori-munsiyari

10. Re: Kausani in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Kausani