We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport from Halifax to Brier Island

Tiverton, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Public transport from Halifax to Brier Island

I am visiting NS specifically for whalewatching experience en route from UK to Toronto, I have 3 full days 1-3 Sept 2013, I'm happy to stay one night on Brier Island, I'm struggling to get the public transport side of things sorted. Has anyone any suggestions? Whale watching times are slightly reduced at this time of year, it's seems that they are concentrated more bewtween 9am-3.30pm - no doubt the light is less. Any ideas welcome (I do not intend to hire a car). Judy (UK)

Mentioned in this post
Brier Island
Brier Island
95 Reviews
Brier Island, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
3 replies to this topic
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport from Halifax to Brier Island

I think the only way would be to rent a car.

I presume you could take a Greyhound Bus from Halifax to Digby but other than hiring a taxi in Digby to drive you to Brier (which would probably cost you around $200....I'm guessing on that number but it will NOT be cheap...and I don't even know if a taxi would do it) you're out of luck. Brier is quite remote (it's about 90 minutes from Digby) and I don't think there are any modes of public transport would go directly to Brier.

Perhaps somebody on this forum knows better but I think you will have a hard time getting there without a car.

Edited: 26 July 2013, 01:40
Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Digby
Digby
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport from Halifax to Brier Island

Try Kathleen's Shuttle and Tours, she is from Digby Neck & might be able to help you.

www.freewebs.com/digbytoursandshuttle

Mentioned in this post
Digby
Digby
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport from Halifax to Brier Island

You will discover that Nova Scotia is sorely lacking in public transit options outside the Halifax area. Bus routes are being cut and of course, the rails have been lifted years ago. If you are able to get to a ride, here are some good tips about getting to Briar Island. (They came from one of whale watching sites.) I hope you enjoy your stopover. Come back to NS when you have more time!

DIRECTIONS

Westport, Brier Island is a comfortable 90-minute drive from Digby, on Highway 217, down Digby Neck, including two short ferry hops. The ferries run once an hour, 24 hours a day, and cost $5 round trip.

The first ferry at East Ferry leaves every hour on the HALF hour (7:30, 8:30 etc.) and the second ferry at Freeport leaves every hour on the HOUR (8:00, 9:00 etc..).

IMPORTANT:

The ferries are timed so that if you continue driving from the first ferry you will automatically connect with the second one. YOU DO NOT HAVE TIME TO STOP. If you wish to stop on Long Island, you should do so on your return trip. It is about a 45-minute drive from Digby to the first ferry.

Time your departure from Digby so you can catch it on time. For example, if you are booked on a 1:30 whale watch, you must leave Digby by 11:45 at the latest to catch the first ferry at 12:30 and the next ferry at 1:00, arriving at Brier Island at 1:10. However, it is advisable to arrive an hour earlier to make sure you catch the trip. This will give you time to check into the office and take a driving tour of our island.

Mentioned in this post
Brier Island
Brier Island
95 Reviews
Brier Island, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Digby
Digby
Reply to: Public transport from Halifax to Brier Island