We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paternoster or Langebaan??

India
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Paternoster or Langebaan??

We want something close to ocean or beautiful view of Water.

What is better Paternoster or Langebaan??

Please suggest some Boutique Hotel?

9 replies to this topic
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Paternoster or Langebaan??

Paternoster is first choice and Paternoster is second choice!!

It has the atmosphere of a fishing village with a lovely ocean beach, rather than a suburban town on the gulf opposite a large Steel Works and terminal!

My favourite place to stay is Ah! Guesthouse, right on the beach with woonderful food. Arnold's Crayfish dinners are to die for and his four course breakfasts are the best in South Africa!

http://www.ahguesthouse.com/

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
555 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paternoster or Langebaan??

As usual I am agreeing with VDC. Definitely Paternoster over Langebaan and Ah Guest House is the spot to stay (IMO!)

Lisa

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
381 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paternoster or Langebaan??

There are quite a few issues with crime in Patternoster that you should be aware of. Some people have written about their experiences of it in the Tripadvisor Forum. Unfortunately I am aware of 3 incidents in the last 4 months where accomodation has been broken into which is 3 incidents too many.

So...my personal recommendation is Langebaan!

Lancashire
Level Contributor
37 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paternoster or Langebaan??

We were recommened to visit Paternoster so we drove from Simonstown to see if it was as nice as everyone said. The drive got a bit boring with not to much scenery but when we arrived it was well worth it. A beatiful fishermans village with white sands and turquiose sea . Stayed at a lovely guest house Baywatch Villas excellnt accomodaion but 1 night was enough for us very quiet sleepy village for a relaxing holiday if thats what you want.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
555 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paternoster or Langebaan??

Crox - crime should be less of an issue if you stay in a guest house? I think the crime you refer to is from self catering accommodation and the OP was asking about boutique hotels. Most 4 star plus guest houses in SA are much better than any boutique hotel you can find in the UK (IMO).

Please don't be put off by alledged "crime" in Paternoster. I have stayed there twice and never seen any crime. I have also walked around at night quite safely. One of the great pluses of Paternoster is that it has more than its fair share of excellent restaurants, all excellent value.

Lisa

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paternoster or Langebaan??

Hi there

I also recommend Paternoster for a few days. Try Paternoster Lodge, they also have a restaurant that overlooks the bay and worth it for the scenery. I was last there 2 weeks ago and it is the best place on the West Coast.

Regards

Hank - Ulungele Tours.

Cape Town
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Paternoster or Langebaan??

Paternoster, best beaches, authentic fishing village but with luxury accommodation and a choice of very good restaurants.

Pretoria
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paternoster or Langebaan??

We spend 1 night in Feb in both towns and paternoster is definitely our favorite.

It's a quant fishing time very laced as if time itself is on holiday there. Lovely boutique accommodations. We could not get the highly recommended ah guesthouse but managed to sleep at Sardien & Sardyn guesthouse. Great finishes and excellent accommodation.

Langebaan is a lovely town as well, if u looking for watersport activities and not " too slow" holiday experience.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paternoster or Langebaan??

We are considering staying in February in Paternoster for a few days relaxing after a month long road trip through Western and eastern cape before flying out of Cape Town. However we are very concerned regarding the reports in the forum of crime there. Would Langabaan be a better alternative for less crime potential and a scenic and a relaxing opportunity?

Reply to: Paternoster or Langebaan??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Paternoster