We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paternoster & Whale Watching?

bracknell
Level Contributor
190 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Paternoster & Whale Watching?

Hello,

I am suffering the usual issue of so much to do and so little time; can anyone advise me if it is realistic to drop whale watching around Hermanus and get a decent whale sighting fix whilst staying in Paternoster (September 2013)?

I notice it is officially part of the whale watching route but my researches have not brought up any specific info on the quantity and quality of sightings and whether watching is land or (only) sea based.

8 replies to this topic
Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paternoster & Whale Watching?

We have just come back and saw loads of whales in Hermanus, whereas we didn't see one in Paternoster a few days later but it may depend on when you go, you're going a month earlier than when we were there so it may be different.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paternoster & Whale Watching?

Also it depends how long you have because Hermanus is on the tourist route with other things to see whereas Paternoster is about a 2 1/2 hor journey with nothing much along the way.

bracknell
Level Contributor
190 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paternoster & Whale Watching?

Hi Chrella,

Thanks for the info - really helpful. I was thinking seriously about including Paternoster in my schedule as it seemed like a good place just to relax and and get some peace and quiet. I really didn't have any thoughts about things to do in this case.

Looks like I will have to keep both Paternoster and Hermanus in my schedule and maybe consider removing something else.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paternoster & Whale Watching?

Yes, Paternoster is a good place to relax, everythings white and don't panic if men start jumping in front of the car and wave a box at you as soon as you enter the village, they only want to sell you live lobster :-))

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,072 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paternoster & Whale Watching?

When going there in September it is also flower season and the West Coast National park is only an hours drive away from Paternoster. Your visit to this part of the world will not be wasted included that quiet rest that you are looking for. And yes, you will have to keep both options open, because the whales does not really come to the West Coast as much to the south coast, being Hermanus side.

Hank Daries - Ulungele Tours

bracknell
Level Contributor
190 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paternoster & Whale Watching?

Hi,

I am convinced; I have moved my schedule around to fly out 1 day earlier (subject to employer agreement). I have cut out a stay in central Cape Town (can be done of a separate trip - even as a super long week-end break) and cut a Garden Route trip short of Port Elizabeth.

All this gives me whales, penguins, game drives, wine tasting, national and regional parks and a long chill in Paternoster - and none of it too rushed - Done!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
576 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paternoster & Whale Watching?

wb

Paternoster is one of my favourite chill out places! With more than its fair share of excellent restaurants, for such a small town

As Hank has said, September is still flower season. I have never been myself at this time, but seen beautiful photos. Langebaan, which is just by the West Coast National Park, is worth a wander around and the lagoon is the most amazing colour

The drive up to Paternoster is Ok - you cn call at Blouberg for an iconic view of Table Mountain. Darling is also worth a stop over. A few nice shops, an excellent cafe called the Marmelade cat and several wineries. We also went to Daring Olives - it was a great place to spend an hour, tasting everything olive related, including olive chocolate!

You will not be disappointed with Paternoster

Lisa

bracknell
Level Contributor
190 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paternoster & Whale Watching?

Hi,

thanks - your recommendations are added to my list

Reply to: Paternoster & Whale Watching?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted